Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Semi-Solved] Vsync
Neosporin Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago [Semi-Solved] Vsync

Fix Update:
Forcing Vsync w/ Triple Buffering works correctly through RadeonPro after disabling Smooth Mouse in-game. Using any other method of forced Vsync still causes problems.

For me, there is no longer any tearing in-game and it's a constant 60FPS. This may not work for all users, but users with Nvidia can use NHancer while ATI users can use RadeonPro to force settings by profile/game.

Thanks to those who tried to help and no thanks to those who tried to argue Tongue

For some reason, whenever I enable Vsync through the ingame options, my FPS drops from a constant 60 (It will not go higher than 60, even without Vsync) to 30. I've tried messing around with the settings, but the only one that isn't working correctly is Vsync (Tried the fixes I could find on the forums).

I've also tried messing around with CCC settings and nothing would give. I forced OpenGL triple buffering and that brought my FPS from a constant 30 with Vsync to a constant 45 in fullscreen.

I tried playing without Vsync and it's just too noticeable. It completely ruins the immersion, which is extremely important for a horror game Tongue

Any help is appreciated!

CPU: c2d @ 3.2ghz
GPU: ATI 4870 512mb
MEM: 4gb
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 07:02 AM by Neosporin.)
05-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Vsync + Fullscreen

Vsync has a big impact on fps rate. That in mind, ATI software is crappy, and even with triple buffering it might not get you a good performance that hardware is capable of.

45 FPS is very good imo, though. It highly depends on your resolution too.

05-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Website Find
Neosporin Offline

(05-11-2011, 03:13 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Vsync has a big impact on fps rate. That in mind, ATI software is crappy, and even with triple buffering it might not get you a good performance that hardware is capable of.

45 FPS is very good imo, though. It highly depends on your resolution too.

Vsync doesn't have an impact on FPS, it simply limits the max FPS to that of whatever is supported by your monitor. In my case, since I use a DVI connection, my max FPS will be around 60 w/o tearing.

Also, as for the ATI software bit, I don't think that's the case. If it were, it wouldn't be a minority of people with the issue. Experience with ATI and NVidia Cards have also taught me that both companies have their fair share of poor drivers.

45 FPS is not terrible, but it's just not what I'm used to. It's definitely noticeable, especially since enabling Vsync also introduces a slight bit of mouse lag and stuttering.

As for the resolution, I'm playing at the same 1920x1200
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:54 AM by Neosporin.)
05-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Vsync has impact on FPS, if not, it should be come as default without option because it's a good thing to prevent tearing. Or how come your fps drops?

Your resolution is bigger than I imagined. It should be something with external settings, which I don't have much experience and I always use HDMI. I played Amnesia on a LCD TV on fullscreen and I didn't have any trouble.

As for drivers, it's always the case that they are bad, not good, and nearly zero support for Linux. I managed to play Homecoming with an antique card of nVidia with newest drives, while ATI still struggles with newer cards. Best hardware, worst software.

05-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Website Find
Neosporin Offline

(05-11-2011, 03:54 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Vsync has impact on FPS, if not, it should be come as default without option because it's a good thing to prevent tearing. Or how come your fps drops?

It's only dropping in this game, it doesn't drop in Doom or any D3D games. A lot of newer games do come with Vsync enabled by default, FYI Tongue. I also like how you're asking me what the problem is, considering I made this thread asking what the problem is XD

Vsync is short for vertical synchronization and it should synchronize with my monitors refresh rate, 60 FPS. That's how it works, and the only time I've noticed performance problems with the setting is when it only renders what is synchronized and falls behind during heavy load, but that's where triple buffering comes in.

(05-11-2011, 03:54 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Your resolution is bigger than I imagined. It should be something with external settings, which I don't have much experience and I always use HDMI. I played Amnesia on a LCD TV on fullscreen and I didn't have any trouble.

If by external settings you're referring to CCC settings, I've been over them all. I have a lot of experience with Catalyst settings and I understand what they all do, that's why this is all the more confusing. I also use RadeonPro to force certain settings for profiles. Also, if you're playing on an LCD TV, it's more than likely it's only 720p (1280x720), which isn't really comparable to (1920x1200).

(05-11-2011, 03:54 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: As for drivers, it's always the case that they are bad, not good, and nearly zero support for Linux. I managed to play Homecoming with an antique card of nVidia with newest drives, while ATI still struggles with newer cards. Best hardware, worst software.

Using Windows 7 with the most recommended recent drivers as posted on the Guru3d forums, and given my experience with the vast amount of professionals that use that forum I'll take their word Tongue

As for an update, Vsync does NOT work in Windowed mode as I had thought, drops down to 30 FPS.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:20 AM by Neosporin.)
05-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(05-11-2011, 04:17 AM)Neosporin Wrote: If by external settings you're referring to CCC settings, I've been over them all. I have a lot of experience with Catalyst settings and I understand what they all do, that's why this is all the more confusing. I also use RadeonPro to force certain settings for profiles. Also, if you're playing on an LCD TV, it's more than likely it's only 720p (1280x720), which isn't really comparable to (1920x1200).

As for an update, Vsync does NOT work in Windowed mode as I had thought, drops down to 30 FPS.

I played on 1920x1080, which is not 720p and is likely to be comparable to 1920x1200. However my connection was HDMI.
I still don't understand why it happens. Any other OpenGL games do this? Like Doom 3?

I just try to understand and give any possible solution. Take whosoever word you want.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:28 AM by Tanshaydar.)
05-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Website Find
Neosporin Offline

(05-11-2011, 04:28 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 04:17 AM)Neosporin Wrote: If by external settings you're referring to CCC settings, I've been over them all. I have a lot of experience with Catalyst settings and I understand what they all do, that's why this is all the more confusing. I also use RadeonPro to force certain settings for profiles. Also, if you're playing on an LCD TV, it's more than likely it's only 720p (1280x720), which isn't really comparable to (1920x1200).

I played on 1920x1080, which is not 720p and is likely to be comparable to 1920x1200. I still don't understand why it happens. Any other OpenGL games do this? Like Doom 3?

I just try to understand and give any possible solution. Take whosoever word you want.

Oh sorry, my mistake.

Doom 3 does not do this.

I didn't mean to sound derogatory as to taking someone elses word, such is the limitation of sarcasm in text Big Grin I respect and appreciate you trying to help me through this.

I just figure it is a bug with the game, albeit a rare bug with my hardware it seems. If it is my drivers, there might not be much that can be done.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:34 AM by Neosporin.)
05-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

Actually, Tanshaydar is correct, vsync can impact your overall framerate. Not just the maximum threshold.
On that note though, it has never caused a game of mine to be unplayable...not even remotely.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:34 AM by gandalf91.)
05-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Find
Neosporin Offline

(05-11-2011, 04:33 AM)gandalf91 Wrote: Actually, Tanshaydar is correct, vsync can impact your overall framerate. Not just the maximum threshold.
On that note though, it has never caused a game of mine to be unplayable...not even remotely.

This was the case years ago. My video card is powerful enough to render frames faster than my monitor can refresh itself, so enabling vsync will not reduce my average frame rate. All that will happen is that my fps will be locked to the maximum.

But like I said, during times of heavy load when my card can't keep up with the 60FPS, then it falls behind and that is where you incur the performance hit. That is not the case here.

With that being said, that is with double-buffering. With triple buffering, that's an entire new buffer in the VRAM and then Vsync has no performance hit at all (on newer cards).
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011, 04:43 AM by Neosporin.)
05-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Might have something to do with Amnesia's rendering system, since it's different from many other OpenGL games. Might be good to wait for developer input.

05-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Website Find