Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skybox with Gimp /solved\
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
Skybox with Gimp /solved\

I will do this fast because I don't have much time. I downloaded a texture from cgtextures:
Medium 4096x683 (0.7MB)

Then I opened it with gimp like this:
Spoiler below!
[Image: gimpskybox.jpg]
Then I pasted each section of the sky into 512x512 picture as layers (sorry about the language in gimp)
Spoiler below!
[Image: gimpskybox2.jpg]
Then just change to .dds and it should work. Apparently I noticed a thing about level editors selection thing: you better change the name of the skybox file youre trying to get to show in there, because it doesn't seem to show ones with the same name.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM by Khyrpa.)
05-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Skybox with Gimp/Paint.net

I would very much like to know as well, I am having the same problem.

05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

I'm not sure about paint.net, but for gimp, you can't simply download a jpg and convert it to a cubemap. A cubemap contains 6 different pictures, usually 6 jpgs, and you would have to put each one into your picture as a layer. Then you would have to (for gimp anyway) rename the layers to +x, -x, +y, -y, +z, and -z for it to be able to save as a cubemap. There's a template here for which x, y, and z goes where; http://www.waterpg.com/wordpress/wp-cont...folded.jpg

Once you rename the layers, simple save as dds; but when you do, the "Save:" part of the box will be available, and you select "Cubemap" to save as a cubemap. And done!
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 03:34 PM by MrBigzy.)
05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

(05-15-2011, 03:33 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: I'm not sure about paint.net, but for gimp, you can't simply download a jpg and convert it to a cubemap. A cubemap contains 6 different pictures, usually 6 jpgs, and you would have to put each one into your picture as a layer. Then you would have to (for gimp anyway) rename the layers to +x, -x, +y, -y, +z, and -z for it to be able to save as a cubemap. There's a template here for which x, y, and z goes where; http://www.waterpg.com/wordpress/wp-cont...folded.jpg

Once you rename the layers, simple save as dds; but when you do, the "Save:" part of the box will be available, and you select "Cubemap" to save as a cubemap. And done!

Thanks! After a hour or two of tweaking I ended up with a perfect skybox \o/
If anyone wants to know how, just ask me.
05-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

(05-15-2011, 06:26 PM)Khyrpa Wrote:
(05-15-2011, 03:33 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: I'm not sure about paint.net, but for gimp, you can't simply download a jpg and convert it to a cubemap. A cubemap contains 6 different pictures, usually 6 jpgs, and you would have to put each one into your picture as a layer. Then you would have to (for gimp anyway) rename the layers to +x, -x, +y, -y, +z, and -z for it to be able to save as a cubemap. There's a template here for which x, y, and z goes where; http://www.waterpg.com/wordpress/wp-cont...folded.jpg

Thanks! After a hour or two of tweaking I ended up with a perfect skybox \o/
If anyone wants to know how, just ask me.

< This guy does. Big Grin

05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Find
Roenlond Offline

Threads: 3

I'm pretty sure it'd help a lot of people Khyrpa Smile
05-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Oh well perhaps... It will take a while though.
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

Also, this is what I used for skyboxes, as seems do the guys at Frictional Games.

http://developer.amd.com/archive/gpu/cub...fault.aspx

05-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35
RE: Skybox with Gimp /solved\

(05-15-2011, 03:16 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: I will do this fast because I don't have much time. I downloaded a texture from cgtextures:
Medium 4096x683 (0.7MB)

Then I opened it with gimp like this:
Spoiler below!
[Image: gimpskybox.jpg]
Then I pasted each section of the sky into 512x512 picture as layers (sorry about the language in gimp)
Spoiler below!
[Image: gimpskybox2.jpg]
Then just change to .dds and it should work. Apparently I noticed a thing about level editors selection thing: you better change the name of the skybox file youre trying to get to show in there, because it doesn't seem to show ones with the same name.

Never Mind, but how did you get them into pictures? They just go as regular layers that the picture goes away if I delete the Background picture.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 02:52 AM by RawkBandMan.)
05-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Find