Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study
theguardianlegend Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study

...i understand all that. The thing is that some of us play the game through the steam client (which I'm assuming is largely why this thread was formed to begin with), and steam has a habit of auto updating. It wasn't something I did intentionally. Thanks for your insight though!
05-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study

yes that's a good point actually.What can I say, maybe keep a backup of the saves every little and while?
05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Find
Pint0 Xtreme Offline

My solution was to find a save game far back enough to move on. I found out that the first time you enter the Study should also be your last. If you enter the Study more than once, you will risk crashing the game in the same manner. So do everything you need to do there in your first visit and never return to the Study. That should allow you to progress in the game.
05-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Find
theguardianlegend Offline

Yeah, that was petty much my exact experience, except that the save I reloaded from right before I entered did allow me to leave and re enter the study, without crash. I just made sure to explore that room first.
05-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Find
Autoupdater Offline

(05-19-2011, 06:00 AM)jens Wrote: It could be that the save game and the game itself are from different versions of Amnesia and that is why it crashes, which unfortunately can not be fixed.

Just to be sure - does the bolded part of the quote above mean that the savegame issue will not be looked into, at least in any reasonably foreseeable future?

It has been a great game, thank you for developing it, but at least at this moment I don´t feel like restarting it (although fixing the Elevator is maybe not that far into game yet). Sadly I do not have a savegame I could use to overcome this issue (EDIT: I will take a look later whether the saves in the stickied thread would help).

So if there is no intention to look into the savegame issue by Fractional to fix it then I assume it would be generally appreciated by Steam-using-autoupdaters (and people who maybe just miss the warning at the description of the update) if some safety measure could be implemented for auto-updating Steam-users for the future.

EDIT: noticed the savegame sticky on the frontpage and rephrased last paragraph.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM by Autoupdater.)
05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Find
sd. Offline

If there is nothing you can do to fix this crash can you at least tell us how to edit the save files to get around this?

I have the save file right before I go into the study. Can you tell us how to put the last rod and the note in our inventories so that we can go on our way in the game?

I found the
+<class name="mInventory" type="cLuxInventory_SaveData">
+<class name="mJournal" type="cLuxJournal_SaveData">

sections. I can try to make the changes myself but some guidance so that I don't screw it up would be appreciated.
05-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Why do all that? Simply load the save game before entering the study for the first time and you'll be fine.
05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Find
sd. Offline

Because unfortunately going into the study the first time was one of the first things I did when I made it to this area. With all my going back and forth to advance my game and then the playing around with this bug I no longer have that save file. Unfortunately that's not an option for me.

Even if I did have it, I'd rather just get what I need an continue on my way rather than try and figure out what I have and haven't done since my restore point. To me this seems much easier. It's the only thing I have left to do before other than fixing the elevator (which I can't do without the rod).

Tonight I'll take my save file before I go in and do a diff between that and a save file I have with everything in the study before I go back into the hall. Hopefully it will be obvious enough that it won't really be an issue.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM by sd..)
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

ok try that and tell us if you succeeded...
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Find
sdhoigt Offline

I know i am pretty late into this thread, but i am having a similar issue (the game crashes after leaving the study). i get "Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 001B.00498A35"

ive added my hpl file so you guys can help figure out what i can do to fix the game

EDIT: I just played up to the point where the game would crash on a new save. IT WORKS! so i guess that it is the problem with the outdated save files.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 4.46 KB / Downloads: 108)
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 04:21 AM by sdhoigt.)
06-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Find