Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hello I'm a modeller
vcplz Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Hello I'm a modeller

yay big butt horse man
but slap some great textures on him and i think he is fine i mean look at that guy if you saw him patrolling the halls in amnesia you would sh*t your pants
05-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Everything looks awesome except the hands... I think asymmetry is key here. Make one of the hands all stripped of flesh and claw-like, like in the drawing a few pages back, and it'll be perfect. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

ok... no spikes...
EDIT in the texture you could make a whip's scares or something
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM by Danny Boy.)
05-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Website Find
Hermoor Offline

Threads: 8

Ok I guess he is finished then, ummm the thing is. If there is going to be assymetry unwrapping the guy will be more painful. Take twice as long :p Also texturing will take twice as long too since you have to paint the other side just like the other side just different. Hmmm I'll think about a bigger hand, but probably not. I'm not sure how the skeleton of the zombie guys ingame look, but a bigger hand might mess it up maybe...but so might the big head or the cloth. We will see...anyway is the guy below ready to be textured or is there any last things to add. I can't add or change anything later so speak now or remain silent! xD
[Image: pppk.png]
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Go big or go home. Tongue I think the extra effort would be worth it. It's up to you, though! Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
05-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Find
Hermoor Offline

Ok unwrapped, going to start painting him...
[Image: 93841949.png]
05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

I have a question: what kind of workflow do you have? Do you start off with large basic geometry and sculpt down or with small basic geometry and extrude up?
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Find
Hermoor Offline

Well the primitive shapes one can choose from is:
Cube
Cylinder
Plane

The best primitive to start of with for almost all organic models is the cylinder. It already has the basic shape. Have you ever played spore maybe? In that game you pull out a spine and a cylinder is formed and you can scale the cylinder in places to get a body.

This is basically what you do with the body arms and legs. You just extrude a cylinder and fix it's width. This works great for low poly game models, with high poly models where much more detail is needed and the texture won't define the shape as much as the model. It's better to start from scratch, that is starting with a plane and try to model everything vertex by vertex muscles in places etc.

For low poly models this isn't necessary since most of the detail comes out of the texture. So just extrude cylinders for arms legs and body then pull the vertexes around to form basic body proportions and muscles etc. Then connect it all together, the only parts I modelled individually on this model was the hands and the skull. They are detailed complexed shapes that needs more work than a tube like body with different width.

One can use a basic model like this and instead of modeling all the detail yourself you can sculpt it. Then retopo the sculpt with a plane. The sculpt can later be used for a normal map. This is how many people do it in modern games that require normal maps. I tried to do a sculpt and a normal map on the panther but I failed because I had already done the texture at this point. And the texture was so dark it was hard to notice the normal map.

This is a bit of a pain though, and if it's not required one can only make a diffuse texture and not a normal map. Anyway hope that was a good enough answer, I started texturing him a few min ago. Current progress Wink
[Image: tttrx.png]
One could make the model appear in a movie or something, but then you would have to model every shape that is on that body. Currently all the muscles and the rib cage on his body is a texture. That would have to be modeled then given individual textures. Often layers of textures...I think the Balrog in lord of the rings had something like 1000 layers of textures on it. It would maybe take a week to create the model but getting that realism takes much longer...anyway for games cylinders are best to use and normal maps if necessary Wink
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 05:37 AM by Hermoor.)
05-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Find
Mooserider Offline

Threads: 11

All of your models look absolutely awesome, and I'll understand if you don't want to(If I were you I would be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the requests), but there's something that I would really like you to make once you've finished the things you're currently doing. It's a new enemy model, I have a basic concept here:
Spoiler below!

[Image: hellminionconcept.jpg]

The picture isn't really the greatest, but I think you get the idea - I'm trying to make it quite demonic looking. Also, I'd be perfectly fine with the spikes and everything being symmetrical, since unless I'm wrong you can use something like a mirror modifier so that you only have to do half of him. I'm in no rush to have the model, take as long as you wantSmile (That is if you decide to make it in the first place.)
Oh yeah, and if you have any good ideas for him, go ahead. I'm sure you would know if a model is good or not Big Grin

Working on a FC: "Don't Let Go "
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM by Mooserider.)
05-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(05-25-2011, 08:50 AM)Mooserider Wrote: All of your models look absolutely awesome, and I'll understand if you don't want to(If I were you I would be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the requests), but there's something that I would really like you to make once you've finished the things you're currently doing. It's a new enemy model, I have a basic concept here:
Spoiler below!

[Image: hellminionconcept.jpg]

The picture isn't really the greatest, but I think you get the idea - I'm trying to make it quite demonic looking. Also, I'd be perfectly fine with the spikes and everything being symmetrical, since unless I'm wrong you can use something like a mirror modifier so that you only have to do half of him. I'm in no rush to have the model, take as long as you wantSmile (That is if you decide to make it in the first place.)
Oh yeah, and if you have any good ideas for him, go ahead. I'm sure you would know if a model is good or not Big Grin

i think there is a monster that looks very much like that one in amnesia... its called the suiter i think... he comes whit a free dlc called "Justine" you can download it here at the forum so go check that out... if you already knew about this sorry but that monster realy looks like him... btw paint sucks to make drawings Tongue
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Website Find