Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penumbra porting
Modular100 Offline

Threads: 5
Penumbra porting

I've been wondering a little for a while, about exactly how hard it is to port models from Penumbra, as it doesn't actually include any modeling (or?). I've been looking into modeling myself (I can't make anything yet), and I'm in need for some modern models for a small project I'm working on.
I'm going to buy both Penumbra games as soon as I get the money I need, and I want to start porting the models for modern rooms and maps in Amnesia custom stories.
If anyone would just briefly let me in on how this could be made possible, I'd be very grateful Smile
Thanks in advance to any kind soul who knows more than I do! Big Grin

EDIT: Due to me being a pushy bastard who doesn't actually think too much, is it acceptable to port alot of the Penumbra models without getting Frictional on my sorry ass?

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 05:06 PM by Modular100.)
05-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Penumbra porting

Everlone made a tutorial about converting. If you search, you can find it. It was probably called Penumbra Conversion Tutorial or alike.

It's still not clear if it's okay to do this. Although I don't think devs will oppose this, I think it's illegal (but accepted). (I'm hesitating to ask something like this in person.)

05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

Threads: 10

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...a+tutorial

05-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

Actually I don't really care whether it's acceptable or not I'll do it anyways and it's just a game they're grown up people. Watta f*ck would they care if u port them?

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

05-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

All assets of Penumbra games are licensed to Frictional Games.
Means, you are using licensed material without permission. It cannot be distributed, it cannot be copied, it cannot be used without legal permission.

Penumbra engine went open source, but it's only source code of the engine. All of the assets in game are still licensed to Frictional Games.

Yeah, devs are kind enough to let us to use them in our custom stories (in truth, they still have no word about the issue), but this doesn't mean it's legal.

You can read this for an example about open source engine and licensed assets: http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counterf...developing

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM by Tanshaydar.)
05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Website Find