Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Mansionbase mods...
lordamarth Offline

Threads: 1
Mansionbase mods...

So as anyone who has used the Level Editor extensively should know, the mansion-base set is rather limited...

I have three requests that any modeler should be able to accomplish...
(In order of importance to me personally)

1) STAIRS: The default staircase has quite a few steps. Could some one create a default_small modded staircase that has only 2 steps so we can just repeat them for the desired number of steps in the full staircase? I need to make a staircase that has only 4 steps and I can't do that with the current 8-step staircase...

2) DOORS: Mansion doors force the door handle to be on one side. I need a couple doors to have the handle/hinges. This can be accomplished by flipping the door upside down but then the texture is upside down. Could some one make a model called mansiondoor2 that turns the current door upside down but turns the graphic back right side up?

3) WALLS: I have a few mansion_short walls that are scaled down to about .25 of the original width. This makes the flowery boxes on them look really terrible. Could some one make a wall_tiny that is essentially half the width of the short one and remove the flowery boxes?
I've attached an image to clarify my request.
And one for the door request...

Attached Files
.png   stair_request.png (Size: 488.79 KB / Downloads: 115)
.png   door_request.png (Size: 191.25 KB / Downloads: 112)
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM by lordamarth.)
05-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Find
lordamarth Offline

RE: Easy modelling requests

So can anyone perhaps show me how to do this?
05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Find
xtron Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Mansionbase mods...

Use blender or 3dsmax Smile

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Find
lordamarth Offline

I'm downloading blender now. Could anyone who has more experience with 3d modeling explain how to do this?
05-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Make sure you a version of Blender older than 2.5x. I used Blender 2.49b for exporting COLLADA files for use in Amnesia. You'll need python 2.6.x for Blender 2.49b, but I'm not sure about other ones.

To shorten the staircase, just copy all of the files of the staircase to a seperate folder, rename them, open up the .mat file in your text editing program, and replace the old staircase files with your renamed versions, then you can import the .dae to Blender and delete however many stairs you want.

For the door, you'll have to open the UV editor. I don't have Blender anymore, but if you find a tutorial somewhere it'll show you how to edit the UVs. You'll have to rotate the UV mesh 180 degrees to get your desired effect.

The wall will be a little more probably be more difficult, but copy the files, rename, edit the .mat file, etc. Shorten the wall in Blender then open the UV editor. Move around the UVs until they line up with the texture file. I'm thinking the only one you'll have to really worry about is the actual wall texture with the flowers. With any luck, you'll just have to move it sideways.

Good luck mate.

05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Find
lordamarth Offline

So I've managed to make the staircase look like I want it in blender (aside from the fact that it is a grey model) but when I open it in the level editor it appears to be invisible.

Is there something I need to do with the .msh file?
05-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

You need to apply the texture via the UV editor inside Blender. You can also import the .dae to ModelEditor and apply the material file there, but you'll end up with an entity. You can set it as a staticobject though, so it will still behave like your usual static staircase.

05-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Find
lordamarth Offline

I tried saving it as an entity. It appears perfectly in the model editor with the texture applied correctly. When I bring that entity into the level editor it is invisible...
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

I was having those problems too with Blender. You might want to consider using Maya or 3DS max. I'll try to fix em up for you. Give me a bit.

05-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Find
lordamarth Offline

Yea, Blender looked like it was working but when you actually import the mesh into the model editor it just comes out invisible... fail...

If you could get a working mini-staircase as either an entity or static object that would be great. I can't see any downside to using an entity as long as it looks like the normal staircase and works like one.
05-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Find