Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request Need feedback on outdoor level
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Video  Need feedback on outdoor level

NEW IN-GAME VIDEO: BRIGHTER

Above is the brighter in-game walkthrough. You can watch this instead of the videos below if you have no interest in the actual building of the level.

Hey guys. I'm making an outdoors level for my mod, One Light in the Darkness and I need some feedback on it. I think it looks pretty good, but it can definitely be improved and certainly will be in the next few days. Below are links to pages you can watch the video at. The first section is a recording of me building the actual zone, if you're curious to see how I used objects to provide the illusion of realistic terrain.

The in-game perspective walkthrough of the zone is at the end. I know it's kind of hard to see whats going on because I hardly ever walk straight, and it's pretty dark. Watch it in fullscreen, it makes it easier to see. I kept getting stuck on the orchids....they have collision boxes for some reason...anyways feedback is greatly appreciated; I would like to know what looks real and what looks awkward and out of place. Ignore the collisions with plants and stuff, that will be the first thing fixed. Thanks Smile

Here are the links:
YouTube
ModDB

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM by palistov.)
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Need feedback on outdoor level

Its real hard to tell when its that dark Smile
And the outcome could change a lot when you make the lighting, at least if your skybox is that bright...
But yeah the ground looks convincing, just put stuff far so it looks like the place isn't at the middle of nowhere!
btw lighting could be painful with that skybox, perhaps change it to something that dsnt have light sources?
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

Only issue I see is that it's too dark. Believe me when I say, without any kind of guidance, the players get lost in outside areas pretty easily. Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Find
SLAMnesia Offline

Threads: 39

It looks pretty solid from the video, maybe more foliage would make it feel more wildernessy, like more bushes ect. I have made an outdoor part to my level and I get alot of flickering on my grass :\ I dont know what it is technically but it just fickers which ruins the feel. I couldn't see much but I didnt see any flickering with your grass. any help to fix my issue?
06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

As previous speakers say its quite dark. Makes it hard to tell. In respect to that; the brightness ratio between the skybox and the level seems a little off. With that a bright sky the level itself would be brighter realistically.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Alright I'll record another video with much more lighting. Thanks for checking it out guys, I hope you'll take the time to look at the newer brighter video Smile

06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Find
DonProtz Offline

Threads: 15

Hey, looks nice good work. You should only change the size of the trees so it gets a more random look. Someone did model a tree i thought you could use it perhaps. If you need more trees, there is a script in blender to build random trees. I could give it a try if i can import them to amnesia!?
Ah and the skybox looks a bit hmm not dramatic, dont know the english word.

Hello my friend, stay a while and listen
06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

The sky is pretty simple, if that's what you mean. Yeah I think I'll try to get more trees. The same pale green tree color is kind of boring. Thanks DonProtz

06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Find
Doctorcheese Offline

Threads: 28

Holy S****. I didn't know that was possible 0_o

''Sick, twisted child... You'll burn for this!''
06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Looks pretty convincing. Why not use a Spotlight with Radius of 70+ at the position of the sun to simulate global lighting?

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
06-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Find