Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[Solved] Issues with activation code
mogwai77 Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Issues with activation code

[quote=Thomas]
I just checked the paradax forums and found this:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/show...p?t=282560

[quote]Explanation: This is most likely due to a javascript setting in Internet Explorer.

No, it does not look like a browser problem: the game tries, after I've entered the serial number, to connect to the hosts tpmaint.tages-protection.com or active.tages-protection.com to get this activation code.

This is currently impossible as the DNS servers who translate those names into IP addresses do not respond:

$ whois tages-protection.com |grep nserver
nserver: ns3692.ovh.net
nserver: ns.ovh.net

$ host active.tages-protection.com ns.ovh.net
active.tages-protection.com A record not found at ns.ovh.net, server failure

$ host active.tages-protection.com ns3692.ovh.net
Nameserver ns3692.ovh.net not responding
active.tages-protection.com A record not found at ns3692.ovh.net, try again

So the technical root of the problem is ovh.net which is the DNS provider of tages-protection.com who does some service for FrictionalGames or at least Gamersgate.

As you surely have some kind of contract with them you could give them a phone call asking for a quick problem correction!

bye,

-christian-
04-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Find
TheCollective15 Offline

Threads: 5

Yes, changing the cookies settings has no effect at all. It is a server connection issue...when I recieve a response e-mail from gamersgate, I'll be sure to post it.

So, why exactly is there an authentication code? Is it to prevent people from just copying the contents of the purchased game onto more than one computer? This is just...in some ways, quite stupid. Anyone wanting to actually rip-off the company would likely be able to bypass this countermeasure, and in the meantime, the code prevents me and any other consumer from installing this game on a computer without internet access, a pester indeed. Sad

You can't kill me if I kill me first!!
04-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Find
wrathofgod Offline

I know Fractional Games cannot do anything about it but I thought I'd throw in yet another person (myself) who has bought Penumbra: Overture and cannot activate. Sad

Was looking forward to playing this through the holiday too. >Sad
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Find
SnackAttack Offline

Yeah, you can count me in on this one too.

I just kind of wish I had read this before deciding to download, maybe had I gone through Strategy First instead of GamersGate this would have gone smoother. Oh well, no use whining, I just hope the issue is fixed soon enough for me to get into this before I have to go back to school.
04-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Find
Christian_GG Offline

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to step in here and let everyone having problems know that we are looking into this issue. The error itself seems to be related to domain name server / server issues with one of our third party copy protection provider.

This error that you receive is not caused by or related with the GamersGate platform or technology. However we want to let everyone know that full refunds will be provided for those unable to activate their products. If you on the other hand endure until we get this problem resolved with tages-online compensation will of course be made.

We appologise to all affected for the inconvenience and time loss caused.

Christian Schweitz
http://www.GamersGate.com
04-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Find
TheCollective15 Offline

Woohoo! A response...very nice. Must check my e-mail, for any support information, assuming it has come in yet...

04-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Nice to hear they're at least responding...
I'm glad I got a physical copy. Overzealous copy protection that uses internet explorer settings and needs to register online and will only work on your one computer? Sad Talk about an ass-backwards scheme, especially since it'd all be hacked off anyway if a pirate got to it. Even Starforce and Steam have been broken, it's pretty clear at this point that overdone copy protection hurts nobody but the legit consumer.
04-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Find
TheCollective15 Offline

Heh. I was thinking of getting a physical copy, but there are three problems I can think of: 1) Shipping/handling charges. I remember looking around on one of the Overture-sponsored websites, and I would have had to pay roughly 27 dollars for a physical copy (instead of the standard $19.99), and possibly even more through taxes. 2) Waiting...I would have had at least a 5 business day wait, even longer if I resorted to cheaper shipping methods...ironic, of course, being that I am waiting right this minute to play the game, lol. 3) Desk clutter. While this is rather minor, I still don't like how if I was to purchase all three episodes, I would have to make room for three CD cases. Storing it on the computer is much simpler, and I could always make a back-up CD...ah, but if ever a 3-in-1 DVD for Overture came out, I would likely have opted for a physical copy...I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions. Tongue

04-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Find
SnackAttack Offline

Yeah, I opted for a download because I was too impatient to wait for it to ship. I guess that plan kind of back fired.

Kind of sucks because I was all in the mood to play Penumbra, and was all excited as I launched it just to see "Hahaha, oh man, no you can't play now. What? You've already paid for and installed the full game? Man, that sucks. Go outside or something I guess." So I just played the demo a few times over and now really want to keep playing but alas, I must resort to complaining on forums to occupy the time until I can activate the thing.

So it goes.
04-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Find
H4nky Offline

Threads: 1

Man, this is tiresome. Are they ever going to fix this?! What are those guys at "tages S.A" up to?
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Find