Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh Meat Help.
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40
RE: Fresh Meat Help.

I'm not a 3d designer but I do feel that I'm better with mapping and scripting then he is xD

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

(06-13-2011, 07:31 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote: I'm not a 3d designer but I do feel that I'm better with mapping and scripting then he is xD

AND I FEEL IM BETTER THAN YOU BITCH

EDIT: Kidding Tongue (your signature said it was okay)

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM by Nye.)
06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Find
Krimbo Offline

I'm new to this Sad I don't make games, I've never tried.
But, from what I've seen in editor today, seems like its just putting ready made models down how you want.
06-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Find
Immersion Offline

Threads: 0

(06-13-2011, 10:15 PM)Krimbo Wrote: I'm new to this Sad I don't make games, I've never tried.
But, from what I've seen in editor today, seems like its just putting ready made models down how you want.

There is a model editor too Big Grin, and it takes a lot of practice to effectively make a story. Im running into problems at every angle even in simple room design!
06-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Find
Nye Offline

It just takes a LOT of time and patience.

Remember to use "Q", "E" and "R" and other keyboard shortcuts in the level editor to boost productivity. After dozens of hours, it all comes very naturally.

06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Find
Krimbo Offline

No no no!
Don't get me wrong, I know it will take a long time to make, I'm just suprised how simple it is thats all. I thought to make a map of a game it'd be rocket science.

So basically, in the industry is it, they make all the models of all the items and objects they need, and put them together in a Level Editor like this?
Seems so much more basic to what I thought Tongue
Any comments?
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Find
Nye Offline

The HPL2 engine is very simplistic compared to mainstream games.

Also, Jens did most of the content (ie. making the game in the level editor), but 85% of the game is all the scripting/story design/engine development/creating sounds/entities etc. that goes on behind the scenes.

If you use the Hammer Editor or the Unreal Engine, the difficulty becomes a lot more complex.

06-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

VHE more complex than this? Dude, I don't know where did you get that idea, but it's twice as easy.

UDK is also easier to handle, you just need to know how to use it. You can just do whatever you think of there and you don't need 1 hour to add a new model in there. But it can't be compared since it's basically the best engine in hte market at the current time(or maybe one of the best since RAGE and CryEngine 3 are also very good).

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Find
Nye Offline

(06-14-2011, 01:50 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: VHE more complex than this? Dude, I don't know where did you get that idea, but it's twice as easy.

UDK is also easier to handle, you just need to know how to use it. You can just do whatever you think of there and you don't need 1 hour to add a new model in there. But it can't be compared since it's basically the best engine in hte market at the current time(or maybe one of the best since RAGE and CryEngine 3 are also very good).

but...so many buttons.. HPL2 has like 8 buttons Tongue

06-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

That's a lie. While VHE for instance holds everything(particle editor, model viewer, sound editor, script) in the same place(except for the model viewer & Facial Animation tools) HPL2 has the same things in lots of different programs and with half the features.

I'm not saying HPL2 is a bad engine, even more because I'm developing a mod for it, but I can't say it's easy to handle. Maybe it's because I'm more used to Unreal, source or the g.e.c.k but it just looks twice as hard to do anything.

P.S.: Of Course that for the regular project(regular custom stories) and so on, it's not of a problem, you can just work at it just like you did in The Sims, but for a serious modification(currently I can talk about The White Night) you will find big obstacles(I bet Tanshaydar did). Even for more developed custom stories you will find yourself limited, you probably noticed that already.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2011, 02:01 AM by nemesis567.)
06-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Find