Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra: Overture - Text Walkthrough
pikacz
Unregistered

RE: Complete Walkthrough (finished!)

neat Smile so on which sites will we publish it? Thomas mentioned GameFaqs, i know IGN.com is a nice site with that kind of stuff. anything else?
04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
SirRaven Offline

Threads: 0

Someone's already posted a real nice walkthrough on gamefaqs including ascii maps. This one could be submitted if revised to being a "no-spoiler walkthrough".
04-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Gfaqs requires word wrap to be off (So you have to press enter ) for their faqs, don't forget that.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
The author said it was impossible to kill the dog in the old mine, and even I managed to do this, in hard difficulty, though I'm really bad at action games.

And the walkthrough gives too much away in my opinion.
I know telling players what to do is the idea behind walkthrughs, but in the gamefaq text, every single step is decribed in a painfully detailed way, with no single thought left to think for the player. Walkthroughs like that kill the mood of a game Sad
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work put into it, I just don't like the result.
The one pikacz wrote is how a walkthrough should be, I think.
There are directions in it on what to do, and what you can find in a room, but the player still has to figure some stuff out, without being guided like a blind robot. This way most of Penumbra's atmosphere is preserved.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Find
DJ_Bite Offline

RE: Complete Walkthrough parts 1 & 2

Thanx for all your great work, Pikacz! It really helped me out every now and then. I'm at the 2nd worm now, so I start getting there :-)

Cheers,
Bite
04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Find
SirRaven Offline

Thaliur Wrote:Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
The author said it was impossible to kill the dog in the old mine, and even I managed to do this, in hard difficulty, though I'm really bad at action games.

And the walkthrough gives too much away in my opinion.
I know telling players what to do is the idea behind walkthrughs, but in the gamefaq text, every single step is decribed in a painfully detailed way, with no single thought left to think for the player. Walkthroughs like that kill the mood of a game Sad
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work put into it, I just don't like the result.
The one pikacz wrote is how a walkthrough should be, I think.
There are directions in it on what to do, and what you can find in a room, but the player still has to figure some stuff out, without being guided like a blind robot. This way most of Penumbra's atmosphere is preserved.

Yeah I agree, that's why I think this one being modified as a no-spoiler walkthrough would be greatly desired. I read a few parts of the gamefaqs one and hated how much was being told. Even the ending was spoiled. I didn't notice the part about the dog not being killable...I only skimmed through it and saw the ascii maps which is real good work.
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Find
pikacz
Unregistered

Thaliur Wrote:Hmm, I just read the walkthrough on GameFAQs, and I don't really like it.
agreed, it completely sucks. i hope they accept ours

edit
guys from wonderdogsoftware.com are interested in our walkthrough, i sent it to them Wink
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Punisher Offline

Threads: 1

@pikacz: why did you posted on a request for a walkthrough ? Smile Big Grin
04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Find
pikacz
Unregistered

lol, i requested it before i made it Tongue
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Willbreaker Offline

Threads: 6

I dunno if it just me, but I really like that GameFAQs walkthrough, he really put in some serious work into that text, and made it easy to follow.

In my mind the way a walkthrough should be.

/Breaker
04-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Find