Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Making WIP
ObsidianLegion Offline

Threads: 53
Game Making WIP

I am in development in making a mod for Amnesia or something similar.
Either way, it's a horror game in a very similar style to Amnesia.

I was wondering if the HPL engine would be good?

Thanks for the help.

"Good men mean well; they just don't always end up doing well." -Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2, Chapter 12
06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Game Making WIP

(06-15-2011, 08:53 PM)Lolnesia09 Wrote: I am in development in making a mod for Amnesia or something similar.
Either way, it's a horror game in a very similar style to Amnesia.

I was wondering if the HPL engine would be good?

Thanks for the help.

Play a couple custom stories and see for yourself Smile

But in my opinion, it's the best engine in the whole world to make a horror game in.

06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

You even know what you said? Yo said you were making a mod and then you talk about a game and then you talk about HPL engine which is not even the Amnesia engine? :/

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

HPL2 supports horror mods very well. The whole engine was designed to support immersive and interactive experiences, but horror finds its niche therewithin VERY well Smile I mean...look at Amnesia itself! Of course HPL2 is the engine to use! All the assets they provide are amazing as well, you'll probably only have to provide your own assets if you want your story to take place in a different time period/setting.

HPL is not-so-good. That's the engine used for Penumbra and the dev process is a pain in the arse. Check out FG's blog, they mentioned the woes and throes they went through developing Penumbra with HPL.

Anyways...Good luck!

06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Well, if you have profound knowledge in programming and so on, UDK is the perfect choice, otherwise HPL2 is pretty neat for that.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Find
Modular100 Offline

Threads: 5

Definitely. HPL2 is easy to use, looks wonderful, runs smoothly and the file naming system isn't a complete mess.
I say you use HPL2, it's kind of a stupid question, really!

06-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

It highly depends on what you want to do. You cannot create a TPS mod with HPL2, for example, or you cannot create a fully interactive world with Source like Amnesia did.
Decide what you want to do, then take a look at to mods & games made with different engines. Every engine has different expertise. I personally don't like UDK's rendering system, and I really love how HPL2 renders the lightning.

Keep in mind that learning to use an engine takes quite a time, too.

06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

UDK uses lightmass, that's what makes it so lightfull, if you decide not to use it, the lighting will be pretty similar to Amnesia's but with more quality and options. As said before if you are a starter, go to HPL2, it's easy to use, you can understand how it works fast, the scripting may be the worst. That's a good thing in UDK since it uses a Visual scripting method(it uses that for everything basically, material creation, particles and so on but...).

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM by nemesis567.)
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Find
ObsidianLegion Offline

Threads: 53

Thanks for all the supportive and helpful feedback guys!

I'll be sure to take all of these into account. Thanks alot.
What I mainly want is:
-Different levels (Like Amnesia and not a big, fully interactive world)
-A similar interface (HUD and controls)
-Insanity effects (I'm not using the Insanity idea, but I like the effects)

This is just the base of what I need.
And my game engine expertise is very beginner; just to tell you.

"Good men mean well; they just don't always end up doing well." -Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2, Chapter 12
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2011, 12:05 AM by ObsidianLegion.)
06-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Go for HPL2, buy amnesia, download the tools and make a mod.

06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Find