Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Graphics Card not recognizing!!
amnesiauser9392 Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Graphics Card not recognizing!!

Ok, so I've been trying to get Amnesia to work for about a week now and I still can't manage to do it.. I used to have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT graphics card (and yes I did update my display drivers) but the game didn't work properly.. So I went out and bought an ATI RadeonHD 4650 graphics card.

After re-installing the game and updating it it with the latest patch, when it opens up it reads my card as "GDI Generic" instead of "ATI RadeonHD 4650".
So now it comes up with a blackbox error instead, HELP! And yes, I have updated the latest display drivers for the card...

(by the way I can run Crysis, Portal and all those games on HIGH GRAPHICS and they work fine)
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 02:27 AM by amnesiauser9392.)
06-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Graphics Card not recognizing!!

Please post your hpl.log under Documents/Amnesia/Main
Since Amnesia uses OpenGL, comparing it to DirectX game is wrong.

06-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Tansaydar can you move this thread to Amnesia support forum and not in the Penumbra one?

Now, this problem is explained in the support thread and I quote it:

Quote:Check the hpl.log found in the the game's save directory:

Windows: "My Documents/Amnesia/"
Linux: ".frictionalgames/Amnesia/"
Mac: "Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/"

and see if you see something like:

Quote:"Renderer: GDI Generic
Version: 1.1.0"

If so, this means that OpenGL uses an integrated card instead of your proper graphics card. There are there known ways to fix this:

1) Go into the "device manager" which is found by entering System in Control Panel and then clicking on the "Hardware". Find the display drivers and the right click on the card that is NOT your main graphics card, and choose disable. Reboot and try again.

2) Update the drivers for the integrated card. For example updating drivers for "Enhanced Display Driver Helper (ASUS Other Device)" has been reported to fix this issue.

3) Enter the control panel for the graphics card and set the proper (non-integrated) card as the preffered device to use. Here is how it looks for a user(nvidia): http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-...l#pid34691

4) Enter Display Properties and make sure that the desktop color depth is 32.

So, attach us here the file HPL.log if you cannot understand how to find what you need from it. It can be found under Documents\Amnesia\Main folder. Also, what operating system do you have? Have you installed the latest game patch(v1.2)?
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 07:46 AM by plutomaniac.)
06-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Find
amnesiauser9392 Offline

(06-17-2011, 02:34 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Please post your hpl.log under Documents/Amnesia/Main
Since Amnesia uses OpenGL, comparing it to DirectX game is wrong.

Here is the hpl.log, by the way when I go into control panel and check my display drivers, there is only 1 to modify etc. I have downloaded the version 1.1.0 patch, will downloading the 1.2 fix this openGL problem? My operating system is Windows XP 32 bit
.log   hpl.log (Size: 1.59 KB / Downloads: 180)
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 09:20 AM by amnesiauser9392.)
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Have you downloaded drivers from ati.com (amd.com)? Or did you use Windows update to get a new driver? If you did, go to ati.com and download.
06-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Website Find
amnesiauser9392 Offline

(06-17-2011, 09:19 AM)jens Wrote: Have you downloaded drivers from ati.com (amd.com)? Or did you use Windows update to get a new driver? If you did, go to ati.com and download.

Hmmmmm, I did, but I only downloaded the display driver individually. Do you recommend downloading the whole main package?

Will downloading from here fix my problem?? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...nal/Home#1
Ok, I downloaded the very latest drivers from AMD.com and rebooted the computer and it still reads as "GDI Generic" and when I click "detect" it says "Card is not listed, assuming medium settings".

I only have ONE display driver listed, so I cannot disable it. How do I set my preferred device for ATI?? (I don't care about Nvidia)

Please help and send a screenshot or something, please I bought this game and I feel really dissapointed...
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM by amnesiauser9392.)
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Another guy had that problem with an AMD card and well, AMD does not seem to have an option to choose your main gpu for everything like nvidia does. Since I have nvidia I can't really help you there. Try google search for that. As for the drivers, make sure this is installed(the whole package - it includes OpenCL):

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...-32.aspx#1
06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Find
amnesiauser9392 Offline

(06-17-2011, 01:22 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Another guy had that problem with an AMD card and well, AMD does not seem to have an option to choose your main gpu for everything like nvidia does. Since I have nvidia I can't really help you there. Try google search for that. As for the drivers, make sure this is installed(the whole package - it includes OpenCL):

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...-32.aspx#1

Thanks for your help, I have downloaded the latest full package drivers (Including OpenCL) from AMD, the game still doesn't recognize my card. Should I re-install the game??

Anyone who knows how to choose your main GPU through ATI Catalyst Control Center or anything like that please HELP ME!!!
06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I just searched the latest catalyst control center (11.6) from another AMD GPU computer and I'm sorry, but there doesn't seem to be an option to change the default gpu. Maybe it only exists on systems with an actual embedded gpu. My other pc doesn't have one. So, I can't help you there. A google search didn't help either. In nvidia this is very quick and easy but in AMD...
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Are you sure the driver really installed and that you rebooted the computer after installing it? Have you tried to uninstall the driver first, the reboot, then install the new driver and reboot again. It sounds as if the driver is not properly installed and this is not a conflict with another GPU I am quite certain, because that problem should only occur on laptops, I don't think desktops use the integrated/dedicated solution to save power (could be wrong).

You could try and see if there is an option in power management, just in case this really is something that has to do with using different chips depending on power saving settings
06-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Website Find