Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Need some1 skilled in scripting
Lontasm Offline

Threads: 7
Need some1 skilled in scripting

So yeah... I'm just creating a map just for fun, and I was hoping any1 else here who are skilled at scripting could teach me how to script; and work together with me on my map(s)?

Would be appreciated. I wanna learn how to script good Smile

Current Project: Depths of Shadows(Mapper)
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2011, 01:25 AM by Lontasm.)
06-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Need some1 skilled in scripting

Scripting can be hard if you give up all the time, so never give up. Once you get the hang of it, it all flows smoothly. Amnesia uses a script language called AngelScript, which is kind of like C++. I had started scripting around a week after the game came out. It actually was one of the reasons why I bought the game. Not just for the epic scares and the story line in the game, but for the modding tools.

First, you need to have a list of all the premade functions and commands that can be used if you haven't done so already. Here is the link:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions

There are many things involved in scripting. I made a list a while ago about some for the hell of it. If you want to, you could check it out. Link:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-7929.html

I pretty sure that the rest of the scripters and modders here and including me can help you with you learning how to script. Smile

06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

(06-18-2011, 01:22 AM)Lontasm Wrote: So yeah... I'm just creating a map just for fun, and I was hoping any1 else here who are skilled at scripting could teach me how to script; and work together with me on my map(s)?

Would be appreciated. I wanna learn how to script good Smile

Follow some simple tutorials on both the wiki and on youtube. They can give you more than the basics.

Current Project: [WIP] Lost Memories
Progress: 15%
CLICK FOR MY MODDB PAGE
06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

Learn the basics first, via a tutorial or something, make sure you know what variables, functions, scope and callbacks are, and how to use them. Make sure you know how to do if statements and loops too. Maybe make a small map with the purpose of just testing the script with these basics in.

With the basics out the way, it is time to teach yourself Smile. Find what goal you want to achieve (I.e: Design a level) and then work out what you need to know, research and have a go at reaching that goal. It probably won't work first time so try working out why yourself, and if you get stuck then post a topic on these forums asking for a little help (You won't learn as much if other people solve all the problems for you).
Also have a look at the existing scripts for the game, if only to look at how the scripts are set out - indentation and comments may seem purely a aesthetic exercise, but they greatly help out other people when the time comes for you to ask about something (and you, when you come back to your code months later to look at how you did something).
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM by Apjjm.)
06-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Actually I find Angel Script more similar to Pawn than C++.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

(06-18-2011, 03:29 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: Actually I find Angel Script more similar to Pawn than C++.

Pawn? Hell no...

Current Project: [WIP] Lost Memories
Progress: 15%
CLICK FOR MY MODDB PAGE
06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Find