Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendation for Video Cards
nak Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Recommendation for Video Cards

I am new to this Forum, but have played the entire series of Penumbra games. I have two desktop computers that I know will not run Amnesia due to the current Video Cards (Chipsets). I am very good with understanding software and general computer issues, but am terrible at understanding the Graphics. I would like to buy a new Graphics Card (and most probably will need a Power Supply), but after reading all the issues here in the Technical Section I am truly at a loss at which ones will work the best for the dollars. I don't want anything fancy - - just want to play the game. Here is the Computer I need to purchase for:

CURRENT CONFIGURATION:
Make & Model: Acer Computer Aspire M3900
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset, Video BIOS 1666.0
1360 by 768 Graphic Mode.
3.20 GHZ E6700 Dual Core Pentium Processor
6.0 GB of RAM

The Computer has available one PCI ExpressR x16 slot and one PCI ExpressR x1 slot in it (not being used).

I see a lot of Cards on sale for between $60 to $100 and would like to stay in that range. Can anyone recommend a few decent Cards that will work and the proper Power Supply??
06-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Recommendation for Video Cards

If you want to play games, stay away from Intel graphic cards.

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 06:10 AM by Tanshaydar.)
06-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

exactly. First of all, for games you should have a desktop computer with an Nvidia or AMD graphics card and try to not have an embedded Intel one as they sometimes cause problems. Personally, for a dedicated card I recommend Nvidia and that's because AMD seems to have some problems with embedded Intel gpus.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM by plutomaniac.)
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Find
nakpipe Offline

Threads: 0

Sorry, I was having some log-in issues and had to re-register in order to get back on the Forum (no PC luck lately)....... Thank you both Moderators, for the advice. As to "stay away from Intel graphic cards", - - well - - they came when I bought the computer (no choice at this point). However, it sounds like the Nvidia Card would work and also avoid problems with my existing Card.

Can I add a Nvidia Card to one of my open PCI ExpressR x16 slot or the PCI ExpressR x1 slot, and dedicate it's use for graphics? Can you recommend a specific model Nvidia and Power Supply? - - It would be a HUGE help as I am clueless on this! - Thanks again.
06-22-2011, 05:11 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

In order to help you with this I need to know what your pc model is exactly. Acer Aspire M3900 is a series of computers. It could be 5 computers for example. But which model exactly do you have? For example: Acer Aspire M3920
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Find
nakpipe Offline

(06-22-2011, 09:03 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: In order to help you with this I need to know what your pc model is exactly. Acer Aspire M3900 is a series of computers. It could be 5 computers for example. But which model exactly do you have? For example: Acer Aspire M3920

I just finished writing down the gazillion numbers that are labeled on the PC and will gladly write them all here. However, I think what you are looking for is AM3900-U3042 which is written right after "Model Aspire M3900". Please let me know if that is it. If not, I'll type them ALL!! (And........ Thanks)!

06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I found what I needed. It has Windows 7 x64 and Intel® GMA X4500HD gpu which is Intel® G45 Express Chipset. The latest drivers are these but from my experience they are not promising at all:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...pe=Drivers

Install the above and after a reboot download my attachment below. Run this small program and show me a picture of it or tell me what OpenGL Version does it detect.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011, 11:42 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Find
nakpipe Offline

(06-22-2011, 11:41 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I found what I needed. It has Windows 7 x64 and .....................................

I have downloaded them both, but must leave now for an appointment. I will install tonight and be sure to report back. - -Thanks so much for looking................ (I am hopeful)...

06-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Find
nakpipe Offline

OK..... I turned off virus protection, and auto-updates then uninstalled my old driver & software down to the VGA level. Then I installed your software. I extracted your rar program and ran it. I have attached the results in a Word Doc.

I had originally bought Amnesia from another source and returned it when it would not run (but obviously never gave up). These Intel Chips ran all your other Penumbra Games. If you think they will now run Amnesia I will buy it again from you folks. Otherwise, I'll look forward to your Card recommendation and buy it when I install the Card. - - - Which ever you suggest........

Attached Files
.doc   Video Card Vendor.doc (Size: 35 KB / Downloads: 128)
06-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Find
TFEF Offline

Even if the game will run on the Intel card, which I doubt it will, performance will be a lot better with the Nvidia card. I would suggest re-buying the game and playing with the Nvidia card.
06-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Find