Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why is amnesia so awesome?
Ctrl Offline

Threads: 1
Why is amnesia so awesome?

Amnesia and Penumbra focus on immersing the player into their respective worlds. IMO, they certainly did a good job of doing so. i just started playing amnesia, though i haven't gotten very far, and it is already much scarier than the demo. So what "makes" the game experience for you? if you could pick any aspect of amnesia that would be your favorite and did the best job of making the game enjoyable, or just a better experience for you, what would it be? personally, i really enjoyed the audio in the game. the sound design is incredible, and i would say the combination of the unequaled audio design and the atmosphere definitely has made this game stupidly scary so far.
07-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2
RE: Why is amnesia so awesome?

The lighting was also really well done. I agree with you, the audio was the best aspect, but the way that shadows and rays and outlines of objects and monstrosities was also carefully wrought.
07-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Find
Roenlond Offline

Threads: 3

The few enemies for me. 90% of the time, you expect a monster to appear but it doesn't. 10% of the time, you are caught off-guard by a monster that DID appear. The lack of weapons and safety too.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM by Roenlond.)
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Find
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9

Amnesia and Penumbra were awesome for me because of the puzzles and the music and fluidity of game play and Frames-Per-Second.

[Image: TRcp2.png]
07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Find
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3

1) There is no fighting monsters back
2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
3) In some places developers VERY WELL anticipated the player's reaction. I think one of the best events so far is the room with the infamous picture...
4) Design is great. Graphics, sound, music, ui (lack of it), controls, models, textures, shader effects, everything! Alltogether its even better!
5) Maximum immersion into the game world - no need to save, no places where you replay a part over and over to get to the next level, no puzzles that make you open a walkthrough...
07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(07-06-2011, 08:48 PM)Istrebitel Wrote: 1) There is no fighting monsters back
2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
3) In some places developers VERY WELL anticipated the player's reaction. I think one of the best events so far is the room with the infamous picture...
4) Design is great. Graphics, sound, music, ui (lack of it), controls, models, textures, shader effects, everything! Alltogether its even better!
5) Maximum immersion into the game world - no need to save, no places where you replay a part over and over to get to the next level, no puzzles that make you open a walkthrough...

To be honest I don't really buy into the immersion. The loading screens kind of destroy that aspect. Unavoidable i know... well sandboxing could work I guess..
07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Website Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

*Why Amnesia is so awesome?*!
Pls fix that.
07-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Find
Frost Offline

Threads: 8

(07-06-2011, 08:48 PM)Istrebitel Wrote: 2) The game combines EVERY possible way to scare you. Fear or dark? Fear of monsters? Claustrophobia? Fear of bugs? Fear or mice?....
Aquaphobia, gymnophobia...
07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Why does icecream taste good?
07-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Website Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

I came for the great atmosphere, scares and audio cues.
I stayed for the modding and speedrunning Smile.
07-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Find