Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blender to dae, how to get it right
yasar11732 Offline

Threads: 2
Blender to dae, how to get it right

Hİ,

I am Yaşar, you won't probably remember me. I just occasionally skim read this forums. I see that some people having difficulties exporting dae files in a way that hpl will see it, I have some experience in subject, so I wanted to share my experience with people.

First thing first, read http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender

%80 percent of the time, that will work. But sometimes it doesn't. It is not because it is wrong, but it is because it doesn't mention some little details.

First thing to take into account when exporting is, correctly U.V mapping the texture. Adding texture to material without U.V mapping will NOT work, it will just crash your model viewer.

Also, before adding texture to your models, save your model (blender file) to where textures resides (It is better if they all in one place.). And use relative paths when adding textures instead of absolute paths, then export your dae to same place. So that you can easily port your models from one place to another (Always keep dae and textures together.). If you don't do that, you will probably fail at some point when trying to move your models from one place to another.

Sometimes, when you export your model and see it in model viewer, you may see that texture is shown "inside" of the model, not the outside (look really weird)! That is because normals of your model is mixed up. You should go back to blender and flip the normals and export again. This should solve your problem.

And also, one should remember always to use textures with sizes of exponents of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 128x1024 etc.) Otherwise it will either crash your model viewer, or just look awkward.

One last point to remember is that, materials you create might be mixed up when you create it and one material accidentally get linked against 2 different geometries (or datablocks, or vertex groups... whatever one calls it). If this happens without proper care (accidentally), your model will not export correctly. Will look funny in model view.

You can export rotation/location/scale animations without problem, however, I couldn't export shape animations correctly into dae format (because blender's collada export sucks! Not actively developed.) If anyone can do it and post the method, it would be great to learn about it.

And also, do not try to export armature/bones, because as far as I can say, that doesn't work either. If someone could do it, I also want to hear about how to do it.

I hope this will help some people. Best Regards,

Yaşar Arabacı.

07-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Blender to dae, how to get it right

What is your project?
Blender collada format does not support blendshape, armature or morph animations along with loads of other stuffs.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011, 11:35 PM by nemesis567.)
07-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Find
yasar11732 Offline

(07-12-2011, 11:27 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: What is your project?
Blender collada format does not support blendshape, armature or morph animations along with loads of other stuffs.

I don't have my own project, I do some models for my roommate, who is doing a custom story.

07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Find
hkkomiltinn Away

Threads: 7

this topic should be sticky
07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

No, this type of information should be added to the wiki or used to improve current articles on the wiki Wink
07-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Website Find
hkkomiltinn Away

Threads: 7

i dont think most people read the wiki
07-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

They don't, only the ones who care.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(07-13-2011, 01:16 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: They don't, only the ones who care.

exactly. The wiki is by far the best thing for custom stories and guides. It is just the users that do not pay attention to it and ask the same things at the forums all day long.

Very nice topic Yaşar. You and Tansel (not sure if it is ş or s) are doing a very good job in here. Keep it up and thank you! SmileWinkCoolShy
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM by plutomaniac.)
07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Find
yasar11732 Offline

In case this should go to wiki, can anyone else please put it there? I am not comfortable with editing wikis.

07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

didn't Jens already add it? He didn't. Well, Tansel can add it. He also has a topic about making the Wiki richer. Here it is:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-8711.html
07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Find