Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Harvest (Working Title)
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
Harvest (Working Title)

This post will be updated as progress continues, rather than simply tacking on a new post to the end every time.
Current Progress
Models: 15%
Maps: 5%
Scripts: 0%
Sound: 0%
Language Files: 1%
Overall: 4%

Present Needs
  • Voice Actors
  • Graphic Artist
  • Sound Editor

Voice Acting
There are several parts that need to be filled, listed below. Each part only has a handful of lines, including the protagonist. The parts are listed within the spoiler tag:
Spoiler below!
Liam: Male. Irish (Dublin*). 25-30 years of age. Main protagonist. A photojournalist who has been assigned to cover the recent string of tourist disappearances at a local castle. Speaks primarily in the introduction, and has the most demanding speaking part for this reason.

Tour guide: Female. Irish (Galway*). 30-40 years of age. Has only a few lines at the start of the story, shortly before the player actually takes control of Liam.

Tourist dad: Male. Any nationality. 35-45 years of age. Speaks with the tour guide at the start of the story.

Tourist son: Male. 10-12 years of age. Same nationality as father (slightly less important).

Victim: Male, unless female torture victim models are available (in which case female is preferred). 35-45 years of age. Ideally the same nationality as the tourist dad and son. Encountered by Liam early in the game. Few lines, mostly muffled weeping and shouting.

Police/EMT voice: Any gender. Irish (unspecified). 25-40 years of age. Heard by Liam at one point in the game, out of view.

*Parenthetical locations are suggestions only. It is more important to specify that Liam's voice should be recognizable as a city-dweller (i.e. Dubliner) while the tour guide's voice should be distinctly different.

Graphic Artist
Someone comfortable with realistic image editing at the least (e.g. adding effects to base materials like rust, damage, wounds, dirt, and so on). If anyone is experienced with normal mapping, that would also help.

Sound Editor
I'm currently deaf and hear through an implant. While this device serves its purpose admirably, it makes my hearing rather imprecise due to the lack of channels compared to a normal human ear. Anyone with sound mixing or editing experience would be much appreciated.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011, 11:41 PM by Phoroneus.)
07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Modeling Question and Voice Actors Wanted

I use Maya, but i've used them all at some point.Maya's very easy to use, and it's the most compatable editor to use for Amnesia models. Of course it's biggest downfall is its price, so if you're willing to pay for it, i'd say it is the best one to use out of the three major ones (Maya , 3ds Max , Blender) Of course it's personal choice, I used to use blender before Maya, its free, and i found some aspects of editing a model a lot easier with blender, such as extrusion, and the amount of shortcuts is very handy, the problem with blender is you must use an outdated version to make models compatable with Amnesia, and Maya (In my opinion) has a much easier to use Texture editor, but this is again which one you get used to first. I guarentee that the first one you use will be the one you find the best. I've left out 3ds because i've not really used it that much. I don't have a clue how to edit textures on it, but the interface looks very nice, even though it's difficult to navigate (in my opinion)

In short: My favourite is Maya, but I'd like some features from Blender. (:

07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

i havent really done voiceacting before, but i could give it a shot. im 16 years of age and i have a voice apropriate to my age i suppose. my email is bendik.nyhus@hotmail.com and if ur interested in this request then contact me Big Grin
07-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

(07-29-2011, 11:37 AM)DRedshot Wrote: I use Maya, but i've used them all at some point.Maya's very easy to use, and it's the most compatable editor to use for Amnesia models. Of course it's biggest downfall is its price, so if you're willing to pay for it, i'd say it is the best one to use out of the three major ones (Maya , 3ds Max , Blender) Of course it's personal choice, I used to use blender before Maya, its free, and i found some aspects of editing a model a lot easier with blender, such as extrusion, and the amount of shortcuts is very handy, the problem with blender is you must use an outdated version to make models compatable with Amnesia, and Maya (In my opinion) has a much easier to use Texture editor, but this is again which one you get used to first. I guarentee that the first one you use will be the one you find the best. I've left out 3ds because i've not really used it that much. I don't have a clue how to edit textures on it, but the interface looks very nice, even though it's difficult to navigate (in my opinion)

In short: My favourite is Maya, but I'd like some features from Blender. (:
Much appreciated. I decided to give Blender a try (free is a nice place to start), and I'm happy with the way it works so far. Unfortunately, Blender 2.58 does not function with Amnesia (for some reason). I'm currently trying to finagle a workaround using an old release of Blender (2.49) that will let me do the actual modeling in 2.58 and exporting with 2.49 (.blend files should theoretically be compatible with both). That incompatibility has, so far, been my only issue. Exporting .dae files from 2.49 has also hit a snag in that .dae exporting is not included by default (according to the console) and needs to be added-on later via Python.

(07-29-2011, 11:02 PM)darkadders Wrote: i havent really done voiceacting before, but i could give it a shot. im 16 years of age and i have a voice apropriate to my age i suppose. my email is bendik.nyhus@hotmail.com and if ur interested in this request then contact me Big Grin
I appreciate the offer. Once I have a map worth mentioning, I'll start getting in touch with prospective voice actors. The only issue with previous experience is the knowledge of how to convey emotions with one's voice rather than body language or facial expression. The tourists' VAs have a bit of a double-edged sword to deal with, since their faces never actually appear. This will allow for experimentation without any need for matching tone to predefined facial expressions, but also doesn't allow said expressions to help the viewer, leaving the entire weight of intent on the VA.

Additionally, if anyone has managed to export from Blender 2.5x and utilize those .dae files in Amnesia, please let me know what you did. Importing the .dae export functionality to Blender 2.49 is not as intuitive as I'd originally imagined (or else the data is corrupted somehow).

Follow Harvest.
07-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

If you are a student at a university you might be eligible to get maya for free - that's how i got it.

07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

(07-31-2011, 11:54 AM)Apjjm Wrote: If you are a student at a university you might be eligible to get maya for free - that's how i got it.
That might be plausible. I'm technically not a student at the moment (long story that definitely doesn't have anything to do with cybernetics - or does it?) but should be returning soon.

Follow Harvest.
07-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

I may give a try at voice acting: do you need a demo of voices?
07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

(07-31-2011, 10:04 PM)Xss Wrote: I may give a try at voice acting: do you need a demo of voices?

Not yet, but once I get to that stage I'll have people send me short clips. I'll probably just send a couple of the lines to people with explanations of the situation (i.e. what emotions the characters are feeling) and then go from there.

I'll ultimately need a sound editor to help smooth the voices out, since I'm technically deaf and the digital replacement for my ear isn't quite up to the level of natural hearing yet, so if anyone has experience in sound mixing or the like, that'd be handy.

Follow Harvest.
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Photo  RE: Modeling Question and Voice Actors Wanted

A couple of the models I've been able to hack together in Blender. More to come, of course, once I've finished with the sign on the right.
[Image: 280p5lg.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Nice, those look really good, could you maybe help me out with how you made the textures, that's something i'm really bad at, thanks!

Such as where did you get them from? and how do you make specular/normal stuff? do you just save the texture then put filters on it, and paint over it? I've tried making my own textures before, but i couldn't find any good ones, and i didn't know how to get details, such as the screws on the lightbulb. I've always ended up using Frictional Games' textures, so im limited to making older models (I don't have penumbra) . Thanks again,

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2011, 11:59 AM by DRedshot.)
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Find