Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Work in progress Beyond the Mountains of Madness (full conversion) (previously: The Elder Sign)
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24
RE: The Elder Sign (trilogy)

Here is the first pre-alpha test map.. please let me know what you think.

This pre-alpha contains the following:

-First starting map
-Dev. Commentary (enable in Options)
-Voice-acted notes

The download link is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nqm1kq14aa6n7i

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Find
iron brigade Offline

Threads: 0

that's a fine job Mate!
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM by iron brigade.)
08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

I've gotta say that the first level 'ought to need some improvement. Perhaps considering replacing the low definition ground outside, the outside walls can have the player looking into the house though the large gaps near the top, and the grass and trees outside really bothered me; They had their original collision. So you should try to put some block boxes around the grass to make it easier to walk though or by. But of course this is a pre-alpha test map. Tongue

What I really liked was the idea to have development commentary and the voice-acted notes. The idea to have the inside connected to the outside was also a good idea. Smile

08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

#EDIT

PRE-ALPHA v0.1 (Dev. Commentary included)

You can ignore this pre-alpha demo version, if you are not interested in developer commentary.

INSTRUCTIONS:

-Extract the "The_Elder_Sign_The_Asylum_v0.1_PREALPHA.rar"-file and copy the "The Elder Sign - Episode 1"-folder into the Amnesia/redist/custom_stories folder.

-Extract the "The_Elder_Sign_The_Asylum_v0.1_PREALPHA.rar"-file and copy the "commentary"-folder into Amnesia/redist/commentary
(You can either combine my commentary folder with the original commentary folder, or you could place all the files inside my commentary into the original commentary folder.)

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f39617xupuzxx4s

This forum is dying.
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

Ah, I listened to your commentary. ^^

I know what you mean, when it comes to outside environments.

Grass Fix:

There are two ways to deal with the grass.

1. Click on grass in HPL2 editor and on the right side of it, once selected, with present data about the individual grass piece. There will be a tab on that side near the top of it called "Static Object". Once clicked, there will be a checkbox called "Collides". If you uncheck the box, you can walk through the grass, except that you'll have to do that for every single one you placed.

2. You could add a block box that can be used so that the player can't walk into the grass. Block boxes are located in Entities --> technical --> "block_box". The pink area will be the area the player can't go to if set active.

Ground Fix:

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with placing planes. Go to "Primitives" on the left side, and then click on the "..." button next to the black that is underneath "Materials". Scroll down and double click on "static_objects". Then double click on "cellar_base". Then double click on "floor". Then double click on "cellarbase_floor_alt.mat" and then click and drag in the editor to make the ground.

Well then, good luck on your custom story. Smile

08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

(08-04-2011, 11:00 PM)Kyle Wrote: Ah, I listened to your commentary. ^^

Grass Fix:

1. Click on grass in HPL2 editor and on the right side of it, once selected, with present data about the individual grass piece. There will be a tab on that side near the top of it called "Static Object". Once clicked, there will be a checkbox called "Collides". If you uncheck the box, you can walk through the grass, except that you'll have to do that for every single one you placed.

2. You could add a block box that can be used so that the player can't walk into the grass. Block boxes are located in Entities --> technical --> "block_box". The pink area will be the area the player can't go to if set active.

Ground Fix:

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with placing planes. Go to "Primitives" on the left side, and then click on the "..." button next to the black that is underneath "Materials". Scroll down and double click on "static_objects". Then double click on "cellar_base". Then double click on "floor". Then double click on "cellarbase_floor_alt.mat" and then click and drag in the editor to make the ground.

Well, you made me stay awake for another half an hour... but I think its all good, although I still think the technology behind it is poor.

This forum is dying.
08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

(08-04-2011, 11:24 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote:

Grass Fix:

Ground Fix:

Well, you made me stay awake for another half an hour... but I think its all good, although I still think the technology behind it is poor.

It isn't poor technology - it just simply wasn't designed for outdoor environments.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
08-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

(08-05-2011, 04:34 AM)DamnNoHtml Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 11:24 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote:

Grass Fix:

Ground Fix:

It isn't poor technology - it just simply wasn't designed for outdoor environments.

Well, I think it's poor, and I know it wasnt designed for outdoor environments. (listen to my dev. commentary)
I mean come on, gras should be able to walk through right in the beginning.

This forum is dying.
08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

It's not grass, it's a static object, and static objects should not be able to walk through in the beginning, while it is easy to make it other way.

If it were to be designed for outdoor environments, it would be grass like this http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-6295.html

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011, 09:18 AM by Tanshaydar.)
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Website Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

ZyLogicX
nice Alpha , btw Smile

yes, i agreed about stories.

[Image: amnesia2011080922134427.th.jpg]

many times i stuck and can"T move in grass, its little Bugged Rolleyes
+ some broken textures
and just love story about Insmouth (Call of ChtulhuExclamation)
08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Find