Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.56 Average
Work in progress Katamari: The dark descent (Update 16/11)
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
Brick  Katamari: The dark descent (Update 16/11)

This is currently a work in progress (as is the name)

The aim of this mod is again to totally push the scripting capabilities out of their comfort zone - though this time there were much harder problems to overcome than with Tetris, including a bug with the attach function!

This mod is on hold until the latest script update patch is released, as this fixes many of the bug making the mod unstable. However, most of the leg-work is done and progress should be quick when this update comes out! External tools have now been written to allow me to automatically calculate volume, centre of mass, radius, and bounding box of entities in amnesia, as well as automatically generating collision meshes for the katamari to use.

Currently the engine behind all the attachments, resizing, collision detection etc is being updated for the latest patch, and some level progress has been made.

Also i have a new youtube channel, if you were subbed to my old one (GuyNamedBob) to follow updates of this mod, i have moved to TheApjjm.

Mini Update Video (16/11/2012)
Video showing off a little HUD and what happens if you pick up an enemy.

Icon Generating Tool (10/11/2012)
Video of an icon generating tool - described more here.

Test Level Demo (03/07/2012)
The mod now has props fixed so that they attach and rotate correctly, as well as the particle effects scaled and sounds added. Additionally, the camera is adjusted based on the height of the katamari.

Rotational Attachment Update (24/06/12)
Showcasing how props are now rotated when attached to the katamari, rather than all facing the same way. Also, glowy particle effect work in progress.

Attachment Demo (20/06/12)
Still working on this, it's just been more difficult than anticipated. This video shows where the mod is up as of the date in the link. (The disappearing props thing is already fixed).

Old Trailer (01/08/11)
Spent an afternoon putting a trailer together showcasing some of the potential of this mod.

Proof of concept(31/07/11)
Very first video showing proof of concept engine at 3 different stages.

Development Screenshots
Attached Objects Test (31/07/11)
Collision Point Detection (31/07/11)

Overview of scripting stuff
Contact point discovery (02/08/11)
Fixing AddAttachedPropToProp (24/06/12)

Obviously, any comments, etc. are greatly appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM by Apjjm.)
07-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Find
Mosnye Offline

Threads: 3
RE: [WIP] Katamari: The dark descent

(07-31-2011, 12:19 AM)Apjjm Wrote: This is currently a work in progress (as is the name)

The aim of this mod is again to totally push the scripting capabilities out of their comfort zone - though this time there were much harder problems to overcome than with Tetris, including a bug with the attach function!

I will be posting here about how certain things were achieved, starting with an overview of the contact point discovery method sometime over the next few days. This project is at least a couple of weeks away from completion (when the engine is fully functional levels should be fairly quick and easy to put together, but there is a lot of tweaking still to do). There are, sadly, some trade-offs that have been made, and it is still untested as to how well this will handle the biggest objects, so not out of the woods just yet!

Development Screenshots
Attached Objects Test (31/07/2011)
Collision Point Detection (31/07/2011)

Demo Video 1 (31/07/2011)
This video shows the engine at 3 different stages - first when contact point discovery was added, then when that was extended to allow attachments. The last clip shows where I am up to as of 31/07/2011 - the ball's collision mesh can resize indefinitely based on the radius of the ball with attachments, keeping all objects attached in the correct place!

Obviously, any ideas, comments, etc. are greatly appreciated. Am also looking for somebody kind enough to make a katamari model with textures Wink.

.......I think ill stick with Tetris, sounds easier! Big Grin

[Image: a.jpg]
07-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Website Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

I can just see now the player running through a cluttered hallway adding it to the ball.

I wonder if monsters could be picked up. Tongue

07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

(07-31-2011, 01:32 AM)Kyle Wrote: I can just see now the player running through a cluttered hallway adding it to the ball.

I wonder if monsters could be picked up. Tongue
You should be able to pick up monsters when it's finished Wink
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2011, 01:46 AM by Apjjm.)
07-31-2011, 01:35 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Haha saw the vid it looks like a lot of fun. What exactly is the point of the Katamari?

07-31-2011, 02:15 AM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Katamari: The dark descent

Hahaha, awesome. Id like to play with that. Cant wait to see how you use it in a custom story.
07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Website Find
MrCookieh Offline

Threads: 8

Lol. Looks awesome Big Grin
So, will be the monsters able to hit you, while attached to the ball? Big Grin

The Well: Descent - Take a look at it!
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(07-31-2011, 06:17 PM)MrCookieh Wrote: Lol. Looks awesome Big Grin
So, will be the monsters able to hit you, while attached to the ball? Big Grin

Maybe if you don't pick it up. Probably what's going to happen is that once the monster gets picked up by the ball, it'll be replaced by a ragdoll version so it's not attacking you while being attached. xD

07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Dammit Apjjm, stop making ridiculous games-that-should-not-be-made-with-the-Amnesia-engine games.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Dammit Apjjm, keep making ridiculous games-that-should-not-be-made-with-the-Amnesia-engine games.

07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Find