Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming project
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Question  Upcoming project

Hey guys! My first mod has been released, and seeing as it appears to be well-received amongst those who have played it, I'm eager to begin drafting and working on a new project!

I need some help though, because I have three really great story ideas that I simply can't decide between. One of course, is Victim, a project I've already posted in the Showcase forum. It didn't spark much interest, but the mapping work I've done so far on it is phenomenal (in my opinion), so I'll be trying to implement the concepts and design I fleshed out there into whatever I choose to do.

Two of the ideas don't have a name currently, so if you brew up an idea for a name, send it my way Tongue

Anyways, here's the summary/plot outline for each story I'm considering. It would be awesome if you guys could post a little feedback on any or all of the ideas, because I want to get a really interesting project rolling.

1) Victim
A young man wakes up in the confines of a well-furnished room in the dead of night, with the patter of rain and the impenetrable darkness to greet him. His struggle to escape can only have two outcomes: freedom or imprisonment with an unknown fate awaiting him.

2) Unnamed project
You are a man down on his luck, struggling to live, clawing and fighting for your life at almost every turn. In an act of desperation, you attempt to break in and rob the manor owned by one of the wealthiest men in the country. Your greed and your ignorance will be your downfall in the dark corners of his estate; your willpower and your brilliance will mean your survival, for there is more than treasure hiding in the darkness.

3) Unnamed project
The baron of Halpernburg was always a mysterious man, spending hours and days in the dark depths of his manor, but as the steward of his castle you knew not to tempt your curiosity nor lose hold of your tongue. You are merely a watchman, a guardian of his property. But after a massive earthquake, you find yourself buried deep inside the ruins of his once majestic estate. The very rock of Halpernburg is sundered, and the secrets the baron kept hidden under the earth flow up from the shattered bedrock. As you struggle to escape this grave of rock and stone, you soon learn that you're not the only one trying to break free...

Want to know which one I favor most?

Spoiler below!

The third. Smile

08-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Find
MrPotatoHead Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Upcoming project

(08-06-2011, 01:31 AM)palistov Wrote:
Spoiler below!
The third. Smile

Yes, that one.

1 has been done many times before.

2 sounds a bit more interesting, but its basically number 1 in reverse. (trying to enter instead of escape)

3 is my favorite. It has an original story and you could probably do some interesting things with the collapsing castle. (Explosives to clear the way, cave ins, tunnels, some sort of steam powered drilling device?)
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM by MrPotatoHead.)
08-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

I agree with MrPotatoHead, an earthquake sounds very interesting, new paths could be carved by collapsing debris, and old routes could become impassable! the map would be constanty shifting - definately Unique, and if you like that story the best, then go with it! you'll enjoy making it more!

08-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Find
SLAMnesia Offline

Threads: 39

I'd like to see #3 too Big Grin. knowing you Palistov, your work will be nothing short of excellent
08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

I'd like to see #4, only 'cause it has never been done before.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or a typo.

08-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(08-07-2011, 06:05 AM)palistov Wrote: I can't tell if that's sarcasm or a typo.

Neither. All three have the same generic premise. Consider the following: this is an idea i was planning to do for my next story. However, i won't give it all away, try to deduce it from the following: Does it always have to be someone else's place? Does it always have to be someone else or thing causing all the trouble?

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2011, 07:41 AM by Your Computer.)
08-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Website Find
Mosnye Offline

Threads: 3

(08-07-2011, 07:40 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 06:05 AM)palistov Wrote: I can't tell if that's sarcasm or a typo.

Neither. All three have the same generic premise. Consider the following: this is an idea i was planning to do for my next story. However, i won't give it all away, try to deduce it from the following: Does it always have to be someone else's place? Does it always have to be someone else or thing causing all the trouble?

This will become... A thread left unmentioned! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: a.jpg]
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Not at all. In fact I think there's a custom story or two out there in which the castle/mansion does belong to the character whose role the player assumes. However, some of the main motifs in fear or horror entertainment involve the unknown, lack of control, defenselessness, being trapped, etc. The list goes on. Thus, it would be foolish to not bring those motifs into my story, seeing as we're dealing with a survival horror genre here!

I strongly believe these motifs need line up with the player's personal point of view for immersion to be maintained (I read/heard from a video about FricGames designing Amnesia around general idea). For example: if, in an Amnesia custom story which doesn't involve the player "forgetting" (a common thing among lots of custom stories, which irks me), the castle belonged to the protagonist, it would seem very odd for the player to not know their way around the castle when the protagonist should. Having the player and the protagonist share the same lack of knowledge, the same feelings, etc is what really makes the player feel like they're actually experiencing the game rather than pushing keys and clicking.

With that said, when I draw up a story or plot, I focus specifically on making it match up with the player.

Either A) the player knows exactly what the background story is, and what they're going into or B) they know why they don't know what the background story is, or what's going on.

Examples!

Spoiler below!

A) #2 - The player breaks into the castle in search of monetary gain by questionable means and gets into trouble with beasties and scary things. They know they screwed up and now they gotta run!

B) The Dark Descent! The player has no idea why they have to kill the baron, but after reading the first note, they sure as hell know why they don't know why!

Now, a poorly constructed story would have gaping holes in it which leave the player with thoughts that mostly involve unanswered or unanswerable questions.

By the way, as for 'causing all the trouble' I'm pretty sure #2 involves the protagonist out for trouble Tongue I actually brewed up that storyline idea around the idea of the player purposefully getting into trouble, instead of being unwillingly tossed into it.

(08-07-2011, 08:21 AM)Mosnye Wrote: This will become... A thread left unmentioned! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I literally lol'd.

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2011, 08:23 AM by palistov.)
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

@palistov

Such motifs may indeed be implied for such a genre, but i don't see why one can't break out--even if momentarily--of a survival horror genre. Immersion is easily accomplished when you give the player the freedom to decide their course of action. Even if the player does not know their way in their own home, immersion would still be accomplished if that simple premise is maintained.

Leaving the player ignorant doesn't necessarily prove the story to be poorly constructed. Nor does a game have to have a story (to meet the "standards" of a genre). The idea i have for my next "story" will only go so far as to start off the premises. Due to how everything would be constructed, the game would not have to go into any further detail concerning any background information, as the player would (should) be too involved with the current situation which would, in its own way, though not necessarily, be directed or constructed by the player. The horror genre would still remain intact given the fact that the player knows what is coming and may not want to progress further. This, likewise, removes any ignorance about the very structure of the place that the user is placed in, for the player is gradually made aware of his environment before engaging it.

I do realize that there are custom stories out there that have the player assume that it is their home that they start at, and i do realize that your #2 also touches on at least one of the rhetorical questions. However, i meant for both rhetorical questions of mine to be considered in all cases. While the person starts off in their own home, it is still something else causing all the trouble. While the burglar may be attempting to cause trouble to the inhabitants of his target, the story will nevertheless reverse the tables onto the player. If you think about it, Justine touches on the rhetorical questions, yet pulls off a lot of scares and has, at least i would say, a pretty good constructed story even though there were a lot questions (at least for me) left unanswered.

I don't plan on making a Justine remake, however, but just knowing that no other custom story has done what i have in mind should be more than enough to choose it over stories that share similarities with other custom stories.

@Mosnye

Cool

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM by Your Computer.)
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Website Find