Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra demo 2006 VS episode 1
Culer Offline

Threads: 2
Penumbra demo 2006 VS episode 1

I want to know what is connection between penumbra demo and ep.1 . My friend has played this game and he didn't see any part of demo in episode 1 >>>>How?Why?
04-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Penumbra demo 2006 VS episode 1

Penumbra 2006 Tech Demo was technology demo for the HPL Engine.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Website Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

yeah thats right
the only things the techdemo and overture have in common (asside from items) are the main character and the story

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Find
TheCollective15 Offline

Threads: 5

Dark Wrote:the only things the techdemo and overture have in common (asside from items) are the main character and the story

And a similar engine (with a few modifications) and a creepy environment, and monsters, and...Tongue

I think it's safe to say that they both have quite a lot in common...the biggest differences I can think of are: 1) time spent playing, with the demo being around 1-2 hours, and Overture being about 8 or so, and 2) money, tech demo being free, Overture costing about 20 dollars/Euros.

You can't kill me if I kill me first!!
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

you actualy should ignore the techdemo from now on Smile
the engine for overture is more advanced (afaik optimizations, thats what thomas said)

and tech demo 1-2 hours O.o
30 mins for me on the first try

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Took me well over two hours. More than three even. I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to four.

I like to explore every nook and cranny, and experiment with things. ...plus I'm a timid creature and take extra caution. Skills I learned from another scary game. o.o;
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
TheCollective15 Offline

Threads: 5

Haha, maybe I am seeing this wrongly, but it seems like Dark is trying to get us to buy the Overture game. Tongue

If you took time to explore the environment, and really try to 'get your money's worth' out of it, I think it is fair to say that it would take at least an hour...or, if you were scared out of your wits the entire time (such as I) you would proceed more slowly, making it even longer.

The way I see it, the tech demo was actually spookier for me (mainly because I saw so many Overture trailers; I knew what to expect in many occassions...the tech demo plops you in the middle of things, and has no weapons...save the dynamite). If you enjoyed the tech demo, then be sure to purchase Overture, for the engine is updated (better physics, graphics, etc.), although in my opinion, it could still use some patching up...being that physics is the hallmark of this game, I find it ironic that the engine has so much trouble running through little things, like pencils/planks of wood...of course, a patch would likely fix any problems, as would an updated engine in a future release (think Episode 2).

EDIT: When Dark says "Ignore the tech demo from now on" I think he is referring to the fact that you should disregard the engine, for it is better in Overture than in the demo...is this the case? I just interpreted it as being 'salesman' talk a little while ago...must be me. Tongue

You can't kill me if I kill me first!!
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM by thor27.)
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Find