Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hidden Ninja Files Are Invisible
Endlvl Offline

Threads: 4
Hidden Ninja Files Are Invisible

So has anyone noticed that on windows 7 map files mat files and entity files generated in editors are only openable in those editors and cannot be seen even if all hidden files including system files are turned visible? Ive also recorded that the properties of the folders show that this data is shown in size on hard drive but not folder size. Someone explain y these files have gone missing please?

To restate the editor generated files are invisible and non accissible on windows 7 platform (and maybe others)
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Hidden Ninja Files Are Invisible

Wait, you mean the .map files?
http://i53.tinypic.com/jtw1h3.png
Like those?

I run Win7 and can see those fine. Same with .mat files and so on.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Does your windows explorer window have a 'Compatability Files' button at the top when browsing the redist folder (or Amnesia folder)? if so, click on it, and everything user-created will become visible!

edit: i'm on vista so it'll probably be different for windows 7

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM by DRedshot.)
08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Find
Endlvl Offline

Threads: 4

Lol wow never knew that button existed now I feel stupid thx y does it do that? That's a really dumb feature ty

Edit: Ok now I looked this up aparently to maintain security files that do not have access but need to be written aand written in local appdata in a simulated prohram files folder so that the program works but doesn't add malware or anything. Since moving files into program files requires admin approval even if on admin account the files will be written to ur appdata. The program can still call them but they are not actually there. This can really mess up an export of game maps textures and stuff so when finished just move the appdata folder and merge it with the real amnesia redit but if acess is only for a sec then use compatibility mode on the top bar of the folder. Both vista and 7 have this.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM by Endlvl.)
08-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

it does it because you aren't supposed to be able to save files in the Program Files folder, so windows does a 'clever' (stupid) thing, and saves it to a virtual folder called compatability files, and pretends it's Program files. It's very annoying because it's easy to get to, but hard to get back to the Actual program files folder.

08-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Find