Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Work in progress Custom Story: The First Stone
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Custom Story: The First Stone

Nice project you had there. What made you change from Cry to this?

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
08-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Find
C-zom Offline

Threads: 3

(08-14-2011, 02:17 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 01:16 AM)C-zom Wrote: Thanks to whoever gave this one star, you jerk. Someone is also trolling my Worry of Newport page and getting people to give it 1/10, so far three have, and they downvoted every positive comment and review on there.

Someone here's got real class.

Same thing happened before, if you remember.
You might wanna check your own comment on moddb for wn Tongue

Yes I remember, it happens to me a lot. But that guy, Fox, changed his mind and got humble and removed his flamer. These two new guys are anonymous, and are hounding me everywhere. They downvoted this topic, my gamefaqs topics, my facepunch topic, and my Worry of Newport page and score. They're dedicated.

As said, haters are gonna hate. I probably made someone pissed or jealous. Idk.

(08-14-2011, 02:22 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: Nice project you had there. What made you change from Cry to this?

So I could utilize a more polished, interior oriented engine. Something that would let me control lighting, story telling, atmosphere and indoor immersion more. If I ever want to do an "out doors" project again, I will return to Cryengine.

08-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

These are the good things about this engine. The interior scary lights, atmosphere, and immersion(due to the physics interactions). I look forward to see what you are going to make of this.

The reason for this is the fact you're the first guy I've seen developing a mod that has worked before in a next gen game engine.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
08-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Find
C-zom Offline

Yeah going back to an engine like this is presenting both artistic and logistic limitations that otherwise were streamlined and easy to use in, for example, Cryengine2. Of significant note is the difference between something as simple as area boxes, in cryengine 2 you'd draw the box in the 3d plane and if you walked into it a trigger, also a 3d object you could program in-engine, was launched.

Example being that to set up even a tremendous amount of sounds, scripts, screen effects and so forth took merely a minute or two of your time with simple flowgraph nodes. Like enter -> Trigger Camera Shake -> Upon Completion, Trigger faint.

But in HPL I'm feeling the bite and sullen cool air of "real man's" coding, so to speak, of an older engine. Digging up syntax's and C++ varables and ironing out every little detail in notepad++ to do even the simplest things is stressful, at best.

On the other side of the coin is the fact that HPL is indeed one atmospheric engine and will no doubt provide me at least with a tour de force in grim story telling, without having to carve out a niche in anotherwise "happy" engine like Source or Cryengine2. HPL is made at least for this type of modding and thus has the tools, atmosphere, and props "out of the box" for it, whereas you had to create something of nothing in the aforementioned engines in order to turn ordinary korean huts, cool jungles, and bright sunny days into Lovecraft country.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM by C-zom.)
08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Find
C-zom Offline

This project is still healthy and alive but moving much slower than anticipated, you'll be glad to know I've had spare time to flesh out the story. There will be a staggering 50 notes in the game, all of them are already written out and redrafted, including bone chilling short stories, flash fiction, poems and riddles as well as exerpts from fictional historical and necromancy books. Smile

08-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Anything needed, we are here Smile
When it is released, we will not be here, we will be playing Tongue

08-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Website Find