Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Work in progress Custom Story: The First Stone
C-zom Offline

Threads: 3
Custom Story: The First Stone

The First Stone

Hello everyone! My name is C-zom, I am the lead writer and developer behind my next horror mod, The First Stone for Amnesia. To start things off with why you should even care about this post, I am a skilled/experienced horror writer and modder. My last mod, The Worry of Newport, garnered critical acclaim for it's Lovecraftian story telling and substantial, creepy atmosphere. I worked with a team of eight and was very coordinated and active, completing the project in as little as six months.

Link,

The Worry of Newport

I am now announcing my new project everywhere its relevant, an entirely new project called The First Stone. It's my first project for Amnesia, and I am learning the engine well, but I'm in need of two team members who are interested in helping me turn this project from good to great. I figure there is no better place to ask? Post here, PM me, or email me at theimmortalemperor@gmail.com to get in touch!

Sadly, I cannot pay. I work for free here, so do my composers and voice actors. Believe me, I would if I could.

C-zom: Lead Writer & Developer
Vacant: Lead Modeler/Texture Artist
Vacant: Lead Angelscript/C++ Scripter

The First Stone Summary:

The First Stone is a Lovecraftian inspired horror/mystery, a story first, gameplay second project that takes the players on an emotional and mental journey into Lovecraftian horror, without using any of the cheap gimmicks or scares known in the modern horror medium. There will be no Amnesia Monsters, no jump scares, no self-opening doors or lights turning off around you, etc. The horror is what you make of it, and the story is in your own mind.

The player must solve a mystery that stands to doom humanity itself. A necromancer, Dorian Caulm, has unwittingly unleashed someone or something upon the world, and for the moment it is trapped in catacombs underneath the his estate in New England. Albert Curwen, a vindicated and dangerous Necromancer and ally to Dorian, was written and beckoned to come and help undo the wrong and to kill it.

The First Stone will be a character study, a journey into the mind's of two necromancers and more importantly, what kind of worries and fears go on in their lives. This is a look at hero's in a villain's lore. This is a tale of what exactly makes a Necromancer of centuries old cast look under the bed at night, and what in turn might make you get chills up your spine. This is the fear of the unknown, for those who have seen the unknown.

Story Features:

You will find bodies and caskets of the long dead, read long scrolls of their interrogated secrets. Who was George Washington looking at whilst crossing the delaware? What was the island behind Mona Lisa?

These secrets are all revealed, and hundreds more, in the torture transcripts from Dorian Caulm. You will raise some yourself, torturing them for the truths you need to continue. You will find short stories, (Dorian is a prolific writer) scattered throughout the game that have symbolic connection to the main story that will be hand written by yours truly. These will be varied in detail and polished heavily to fit perfectly in the mythos.

You'll find entirely functional libraries, with dozens of pages in each that are readable of fake formulas, incantations, historical pages and transcripts of torture segments and MUCH more.

At the risk of spoiling anything I will stop, but The First Stone will have a ponderous, massive story for you to wrap your mind around and a surmountable quantity of both narrated and reading material. An ending, which readers have called "Ghastly, and horrifying" among other things, will cap it all together nicely.

Alpha Screenshots

We will be using a lot of custom assets, we're just using Amnesia boxed ones for now until then.

http://i.imgur.com/caqjn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FnJnC.jpg

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 04:40 AM by C-zom.)
08-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Custom Story: The First Stone

I think I don't have to say how much I'm looking forward to this, especially after playing Worry of Newport countless times.

This is completely personal experience, I can easily say Worry of Newport one of the best, if not only one, Lovecraftian stories out there. So The First Stone is very promising.

As I indicated before, I can help with the scripting, not full time though since White Night is not yet finished :/ However I'd want to work for a project with a great story like this.

PS. Anyone haven't played Worry of Newport and has a copy of Crysis, it's a must, try it.

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM by Tanshaydar.)
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Website Find
Tenno Offline

Threads: 0

This project sounds incredibly unique and excellent, reading it almost made me jump out of my chair in excitement. The screenshots look great and you seem very confident, hard working and skilled so it seems highly unlikely that this will get abandoned.

I wish you the best of luck and I am looking forward to playing it Big Grin

[Image: 29069he.gif]
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Find
Stanton Offline

Threads: 0

LOOKS AMAZING, CANT WAIT!!
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Find
C-zom Offline

Thanks for the kind words everybody! And thanks for the scripting offer, Tans. Development will go into Q1 2012 so hopefully if White Night is done by then you can help out with any minor scripting needs.

I'm super excited to get this polished and out there, it's gonna be unique and tailor fit for the story loving players. Indeed Tenno, I'm quite dedicated. I never plan to give up any projects I start. Big Grin

08-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(08-11-2011, 08:52 PM)C-zom Wrote: tailor fit for the story loving players

It's good you are not into slavery, because first thing I thought to say was "I will do whatever you want" Big Grin

08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Website Find
C-zom Offline

Haha. That made me laugh. Big Grin

Quick update everyone, I've got a very gifted composer on board. He helped me with The Worry of Newport as well. I intend on drafting an entire soundscape, all ambient and narrated music alike to match the immersion of the story.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM by C-zom.)
08-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Find
C-zom Offline

Thanks to whoever gave this one star, you jerk. Someone is also trolling my Worry of Newport page and getting people to give it 1/10, so far three have, and they downvoted every positive comment and review on there.

Someone here's got real class.

08-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(08-14-2011, 01:16 AM)C-zom Wrote: Thanks to whoever gave this one star, you jerk. Someone is also trolling my Worry of Newport page and getting people to give it 1/10, so far three have, and they downvoted every positive comment and review on there.

I know, I just really dislike how they try to make their stuff look better than others even though it probably be some piece of crap they're trying to release. But you gotta know, a hater is gonna hate.

I also made sure to give this 5 stars to help get it to at least 4 stars. It seems like you're a really good, serious, devoted person when it comes to mods, and I appreciate it. Smile

08-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(08-14-2011, 01:16 AM)C-zom Wrote: Thanks to whoever gave this one star, you jerk. Someone is also trolling my Worry of Newport page and getting people to give it 1/10, so far three have, and they downvoted every positive comment and review on there.

Same thing happened before, if you remember.
You might wanna check your own comment on moddb for wn Tongue

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2011, 02:18 AM by Tanshaydar.)
08-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Website Find