Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia on Samsung R525
CheesyAssassin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia on Samsung R525

Hello,
I am using a Samsung R525 series laptop.
I can't seem to have success with the dedicated card being detected (I'm sorry as this is a common issue). I have been looking all over your forums for a solution, with no success. I still figured I would give asking some questions a shot.

My system specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Phenom II N970 Quad-Core
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 at 531MHz
Dedicated card is an AMD Radeon HD 6630M whilst the integrated card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250.
My screen resolution is 1366x768.

I have tried installing drivers for both cards; this prevents Windows from loading system processes and results in a lot of system crashes (BSoD), and doesn't fix any problems.
In the Catalyst Control Center, I have both Amnesia.exe and Launcher.exe set to the "High Performance" profile and still does not detect the proper card.
Although the game runs with the Radeon 4250, it only runs smoothly with graphics set to lowest at 1280x720.
I have color depth set to 32-bits.
I have updated Amnesia to version 1.2 (I'm pretty sure I have)
When I disable the Radeon 4250 in Device Manager, my screen resolution changes to a smaller size with black borders.

My questions are:
Is there any way to set OpenGL to the dedicated card so that it may be detected as well?
What would happen if I restart my computer while the Radeon 4250 is disabled by the Device Manager? Would my computer start running off the Radeon 6630M purely or would I still have the same graphical results? Or would Windows just fail to start? Should I try it to see what happens?
Are there any known ways to work around this issue with these cards? Is there anything I should try?

I have attached the hpl.log file.

I'm sorry if I asked too many questions and/or this is a huge post for such a common issue. I will appreciate any help.

.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.01 KB / Downloads: 112)
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM by CheesyAssassin.)
08-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia on Samsung R525

If it is desktop you can disable the onboard graphics card inside windows and leave only the dedicated one. If it is a laptop, you can try but usually you need to have both of the working.
08-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Find
CheesyAssassin Offline

Threads: 1

Thank you, that is great to know for if I ever have issues like this on a desktop. And therefore, you are right. I tried disabling and rebooting but the low resolution with black borders was still the issue. Also having the card disabled then trying to run the game, the game won't detect any graphic cards.

I will just enjoy the game with the 4250 for now, and if I find any solutions later on (as I've attempted everything I can find and think of currently), I will be sure to post it.

So far the game is amazing and has definitely startled me a lot; keep up making these games!
08-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

alright, let us know if you find anything. Have fun with the game! Smile
08-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Find
trepmaws Offline

Threads: 0

I actually have the same model of laptop, with the same problem. After much searching, Googleing, and going to computer repair stores, I found out what is happening. The comp IS using the 6630M card, somehow. Here the test the tech did. He ran Borderlands on high settings, and we could get an average of 50 fps. Pretty good, I thought, for the 4250 card, which he said shouldn't work. Then, he uninstalled the 6630M card, and tried running Borderlands again after the reboot. 5 fps on high settings, barely 30 on low settings. His verdict, that the primary graphics card is indeed the 6630M, but the computer is only showing the 4250 as the card being used. It even baffled him.

It's really weird, but that's how it was for me.

Hopefully that helps answer part of the mystery! Undecided
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Find