Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Sounds
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
Custom Sounds

I've checked through all the custom sound threads in this forum and have essentially copied the method of another custom story to implement sounds (I've even copied the sound itself to test). For some reason, no matter what I do, no sounds that are in my custom story folder will play when called by AddEffectVoice.

- Yes, they're in .ogg format.
- Yes, they work in the other custom story.
- Yes, they're in a /sounds folder within my custom story folder.
- Yes, I've tried both full-path and just-name formats when calling them.
- I've also tried with a default Amnesia sound (renamed) and a sound that was working in another custom story (not renamed). Neither worked.
- Other sounds that are built-in to the game (in the main /sounds folder) work just fine, so I know the AddEffectVoice is formatted properly.

What could I be missing? I've even dug through both the .hps files of the original game and of the custom story that got sounds to work successfully, and yet I remain stymied.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM by Phoroneus.)
08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Custom Sounds

I have no idea what AddEffectVoice actually does but try using this instead:
PlayGuiSound

it plays .ogg files

08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Are you sure you are talking about AddEffectVoice function? Because it includes talking, not music, (that is, if you don't use it for another purpose); hence files should be under lang / voice (I don't remember exact place, as I'm at work now and don't have access to my computer) folder.

08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Just checked out the function on the wiki page. Try copying the effect file you want to use and copy it to the appropriate path inside your custom story root. Perhaps the function requires an effect file and the game doesn't search the main folders when the sound file it's using is in a custom story directory

08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Function doesn't require an effect file to be active. However, sound files (dialogues?) have to be under specific path.

08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Website Find
Phoroneus Offline

I'm placing the files under sounds/ because that's where the other custom story ("Wake") has them, and they function properly. I've even taken the actual sounds from Wake and from the main Amnesia folder and put them into identical paths within my custom story folder (renamed the Amnesia one so it wouldn't just call the one from the base directory), and they still won't play.

I've literally copied everything I can find from Wake to Harvest for testing, and yet the sounds refuse to play.
Trying it with sounds in /lang/eng/voices next. Will report back with success or failure.
No dice. The debug message comes up to indicate that speaking should be happening, but no sound is actually played.

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Well I'm placing them under /lang/eng/voices, and even before turning into a full conversion, it was working.

08-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Website Find
Phoroneus Offline

That's really bizarre. I have a hunch, though, and I'll let you know if it works.
Victory is mine!

The problem was that the custom story folder had a space in the name, which caused the sounds not to be recognized (apparently the space broke the filepath). Upon deleting the space and tweaking the script to reflect the change, success!

It's always the simple things... usually.

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011, 10:40 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Space character is usually the source to the most problems.

08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Website Find