Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Wierd Dream Demo
DestinysDemise Offline

Threads: 1
A Wierd Dream Demo

A demo of my new custom story i'd like people to try it and tell me how it goes so far i know i have some things to work on and i look forward to everyones comments to help me foward the development of this story. thank you, *brofist* thanks Big Grin
http://www.mediafire.com/?n1ilf3hcttbjx20
07-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: A Wierd Dream Demo

Brofist? I sense trickery about.
07-23-2012, 05:27 AM
Find
DestinysDemise Offline

(07-23-2012, 05:27 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: Brofist? I sense trickery about.
have you played it yet, if so please tell me what you think or any specific comments on what is wrong so i may fix it for future developement, Thanks
DestinysDemise
07-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

failedALIAS, you are correct. Played it, very obviously a Pewderpeeps map. Here's a review:

Mapping: Very poor; tons of clipping textures (walls, floors, ceilings, you name it), walls that aren't lined up properly. Make sure you have align to grid toggled on in your level editor, and use the "in game view" (I forgot what it's called). I wouldn't suggest releasing anything until you can get basic rooms down (walls/floor/ceiling).

Detailing: A few very basic entities (i.e. bed, chairs, tables)

Lighting: No box light, no evident use of point lights/spot lights (except for one very strangely located spot light, which doesn't even have a light source, just a random bright light).

Story: Player instantly starts in a dark room with little lighting; no attempt of any intro event/story telling. Although, because of the golden statues, barrels, chairs, and random naked prisoner randomly placed around, I'd assume it somehow involves Pewderpeeps.

Scares: Poofers, poofers everywhere! Try to be original and make real scares. Subtlety is key, things popping out at you are just a bore-fest of snores.

Sounds (ambient or otherwise): n/a

Puzzles: Key+Door (if you could consider that a puzzle)

Overall: I'd give this a 1 out of 5 stars. Its very obvious this is one of the OP's first maps, so it's understandable though. Things to keep in mind for future projects:

-Test your map very often, this will greatly reduce the amount of glitches (visual or otherwise, assuming you actually correct aforementioned mistakes).
-Don't make large rooms if you can't fill them up; every room should have a purpose (not a purpose for the player necessarily, but should be relatable to something you'd see in real life)

-Be Original

-Make a story prior to mapping; make sure you have all the levels planned out ahead of time.

-Lighting and proper detailing are essential for immersion, especially in the horror genre. I'd suggest you look at how Frictional Games creates their maps by opening them in the level editor. Familiarize yourself with what types of items go with which building set, etc. This is 100% necessary for beginners.

That's all I can think of at the moment (although there is much, much more to be said). I am tired. Please don't interpret this as mindless hate and ignore it, believe it or not, I'm trying to help :o

I rate it 3 memes.
07-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Find
DestinysDemise Offline

(07-23-2012, 06:26 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: failedALIAS, you are correct. Played it, very obviously a Pewderpeeps map. Here's a review:

Mapping: Very poor; tons of clipping textures (walls, floors, ceilings, you name it), walls that aren't lined up properly. Make sure you have align to grid toggled on in your level editor, and use the "in game view" (I forgot what it's called). I wouldn't suggest releasing anything until you can get basic rooms down (walls/floor/ceiling).

Detailing: A few very basic entities (i.e. bed, chairs, tables)

Lighting: No box light, no evident use of point lights/spot lights (except for one very strangely located spot light, which doesn't even have a light source, just a random bright light).

Story: Player instantly starts in a dark room with little lighting; no attempt of any intro event/story telling. Although, because of the golden statues, barrels, chairs, and random naked prisoner randomly placed around, I'd assume it somehow involves Pewderpeeps.

Scares: Poofers, poofers everywhere! Try to be original and make real scares. Subtlety is key, things popping out at you are just a bore-fest of snores.

Sounds (ambient or otherwise): n/a

Puzzles: Key+Door (if you could consider that a puzzle)

Overall: I'd give this a 1 out of 5 stars. Its very obvious this is one of the OP's first maps, so it's understandable though. Things to keep in mind for future projects:

-Test your map very often, this will greatly reduce the amount of glitches (visual or otherwise, assuming you actually correct aforementioned mistakes).
-Don't make large rooms if you can't fill them up; every room should have a purpose (not a purpose for the player necessarily, but should be relatable to something you'd see in real life)

-Be Original

-Make a story prior to mapping; make sure you have all the levels planned out ahead of time.

-Lighting and proper detailing are essential for immersion, especially in the horror genre. I'd suggest you look at how Frictional Games creates their maps by opening them in the level editor. Familiarize yourself with what types of items go with which building set, etc. This is 100% necessary for beginners.

That's all I can think of at the moment (although there is much, much more to be said). I am tired. Please don't interpret this as mindless hate and ignore it, believe it or not, I'm trying to help :o
No i understand and, it is indeed my first map and my first time scripting and working with the amnesia level editor, i will probably start off fresh with a new story and new puzzles, thanks for the helpful tips, all is needed, i posted this to see if im getting the bare basics and knitty gritty of it all, and just for a little fun, my goal is to improve further development and just have fun
07-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Find