Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing the map
Nathannnnr93 Offline

Threads: 5
Testing the map

How do i test this map i've made? i had a .map and a .hps but i dont know where i should put them to test them and how to do so. Thanks
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Testing the map

Here's the wiki article: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...stom_story

In short, you need to create a folder within the main Amnesia folder called "custom_stories" if one isn't already there. Inside that folder, create another folder with the name of the map. Inside that folder, create yet another folder called "maps". Place your .map and .hps files in "maps". Make sure to give your story a name and description by creating an "extra_english.lang" file and "custom_story_settings.cfg" file with this content:

<Main
    Name="<map name>"
    Author="<your name>"

MapsFolder="maps/"
    StartMap="<your map name>.map"
    StartPos="<name of player start area within map>"
/>

Once you've got that, make a "global.hps" file with the following content:

void OnGameStart()
{

}
The extra_english, custom_story_settings, and global.hps files should all go in the custom story folder (not the maps folder).

Now when you run the game, select Custom Story and yours should appear.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Find
Nathannnnr93 Offline

Thanks a bunch Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM by Nathannnnr93.)
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

No problem. Your best bet is to use the wiki article, since that's guaranteed to be more descriptive than my overview. Best to have as much detail as possible for a first attempt. Good luck! Smile

Follow Harvest.
08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Find
Nathannnnr93 Offline

When i walk around all of the walls and floor is juttering, is that normal because the floor is just one big primitive so im not sure whats going on :S Everything looks like theyre juttering.. its strange.
08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-14-2011, 10:36 PM)Nathannnnr93 Wrote: When i walk around all of the walls and floor is juttering, is that normal because the floor is just one big primitive so im not sure whats going on :S Everything looks like theyre juttering.. its strange.

When you stand still, not moving whatsoever, do they still "jitter"? Either way, it is probably due to having multiple objects at the very same position.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Website Find
Phoroneus Offline

That sounds like clipping. If you have more than one surface on the same plane, facing the same direction (like if walls overlap the ones next to them) the game can't decide which one to display, so it jumps back and forth. In the level editor, make sure the walls are perfectly flush with one another, or hide the joints using welder objects (which are solid and can be pulled out from the walls a bit.

If you really like the way the walls look, but don't like the clipping, you can modify the position of the walls very slightly so that one of the clipping ones is just a tiny bit behind the other. Do this by selecting the wall you want to move and modifying its position (by something like 0.001) in the boxes on the right. Make sure the position you change is the one normal (perpendicular) to the wall's face. You can also fix it in a similar fashion by scaling the walls slightly (this works especially well on door frames and the like), by a similarly tiny amount.

Follow Harvest.
08-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

um how do you make a global.hps file?

Posting Freak
08-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Website Find
Nathannnnr93 Offline

(08-15-2011, 04:08 AM)kman Wrote: um how do you make a global.hps file?

Make a .txt file but rename .txt to .hps and just name it Global. Before you save it as that, add what you need to add inside it.
(08-14-2011, 11:18 PM)Phoroneus Wrote: That sounds like clipping. If you have more than one surface on the same plane, facing the same direction (like if walls overlap the ones next to them) the game can't decide which one to display, so it jumps back and forth. In the level editor, make sure the walls are perfectly flush with one another, or hide the joints using welder objects (which are solid and can be pulled out from the walls a bit.

If you really like the way the walls look, but don't like the clipping, you can modify the position of the walls very slightly so that one of the clipping ones is just a tiny bit behind the other. Do this by selecting the wall you want to move and modifying its position (by something like 0.001) in the boxes on the right. Make sure the position you change is the one normal (perpendicular) to the wall's face. You can also fix it in a similar fashion by scaling the walls slightly (this works especially well on door frames and the like), by a similarly tiny amount.

No its not that :/ everything jutters, i think its the screen more than anything. No object is overlapping i deleted all the walls and started again but still the same.. Im coming to the conclusion that its just normal and i'll have to live with it Tongue
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM by Nathannnnr93.)
08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

(08-15-2011, 08:36 AM)Nathannnnr93 Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 04:08 AM)kman Wrote: um how do you make a global.hps file?

Make a .txt file but rename .txt to .hps and just name it Global. Before you save it as that, add what you need to add inside it.
(08-14-2011, 11:18 PM)Phoroneus Wrote: That sounds like clipping. If you have more than one surface on the same plane, facing the same direction (like if walls overlap the ones next to them) the game can't decide which one to display, so it jumps back and forth. In the level editor, make sure the walls are perfectly flush with one another, or hide the joints using welder objects (which are solid and can be pulled out from the walls a bit.

No its not that :/ everything jutters, i think its the screen more than anything. No object is overlapping i deleted all the walls and started again but still the same.. Im coming to the conclusion that its just normal and i'll have to live with it Tongue

Does it jitter when you're playing the regular game? Might be a horizontal sync issue. It's not an insanity effect, is it? You're standing in a lit area, I hope. That'd be kind of an embarrassing explanation. Tongue

Follow Harvest.
08-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Find