Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting to .snt
ObsidianLegion Offline

Threads: 53
Converting to .snt

I've added some files into my custom and I want to use them.
I want them as my backing/ambience. I already have it as an .ogg if that helps. Are there any converters? Huh

"Good men mean well; they just don't always end up doing well." -Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2, Chapter 12
08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Converting to .snt

.snt is just a text file. Open it up and see their format.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

There is no conversion progress. SNT is a text file with information. Open an existing snt file and just make necessary changes then save it as you need.

08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Website Find
ObsidianLegion Offline

(08-15-2011, 03:06 PM)Your Computer Wrote: .snt is just a text file. Open it up and see their format.

Thanks but I don't get it :/

"Good men mean well; they just don't always end up doing well." -Isaac Clarke, Dead Space 2, Chapter 12
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Open it with a text editor.

08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Website Find
ObsidianLegion Offline

(08-15-2011, 03:10 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Open it with a text editor.

Okay. Cheers.

08-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(08-15-2011, 03:07 PM)Lolnesia09 Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 03:06 PM)Your Computer Wrote: .snt is just a text file. Open it up and see their format.

Ha, I looked at this thread easily and found out how to use ".snt" extension files and made my own custom sounds that can be used by the PlaySoundAtEntity command function. Tongue

So I'll make an example on how to make a ".snt" file. In this example, I'll call the sound "Example.ogg". A sound that has a ".snt" file can be used to edit the original sound, and set up certain properties to it, like a fade in and fade out and looping it for example. Where you would have this "Example.ogg" file, create a text document of some sort that can be opened with something like Notepad++. Name it "Example.snt", and also make sure that extensions are visible or else it would be called "Example.snt.txt" and we don't want that.

Now in "Example.snt", paste this into it:

<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="Example" />
      </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
  <PROPERTIES Volume="1" MinDistance="1" MaxDistance="10" Random="1" Interval="0" FadeEnd="False" FadeStart="False" Stream="True" Loop="True" Use3D="True" Blockable="False" BlockVolumeMul="1" Priority="0" />
</SOUNDENTITY>

You can open any ".snt" file with a text editor and you'll see something like this. You can also have there be multiple ".ogg" files and then have the ".snt" play a random one. You can look at one that uses multiple ".ogg"s in Amnesia's "sounds" folder.

Hope this helps. Smile

Edit: Crap, somebody always has to simplify it, making mine a waste of time. Sad

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM by Kyle.)
08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Find
ObsidianLegion Offline

(08-15-2011, 03:19 PM)Kyle Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 03:07 PM)Lolnesia09 Wrote:

Ha, I looked at this thread easily and found out how to use ".snt" extension files and made my own custom sounds that can be used by the PlaySoundAtEntity command function. Tongue

So I'll make an example on how to make a ".snt" file. In this example, I'll call the sound "Example.ogg". A sound that has a ".snt" file can be used to edit the original sound, and set up certain properties to it, like a fade in and fade out and looping it for example. Where you would have this "Example.ogg" file, create a text document of some sort that can be opened with something like Notepad++. Name it "Example.snt", and also make sure that extensions are visible or else it would be called "Example.snt.txt" and we don't want that.

Now in "Example.snt", paste this into it:

<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="Example" />
      </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
  <PROPERTIES Volume="1" MinDistance="1" MaxDistance="10" Random="1" Interval="0" FadeEnd="False" FadeStart="False" Stream="True" Loop="True" Use3D="True" Blockable="False" BlockVolumeMul="1" Priority="0" />
</SOUNDENTITY>

You can open any ".snt" file with a text editor and you'll see something like this. You can also have there be multiple ".ogg" files and then have the ".snt" play a random one. You can look at one that uses multiple ".ogg"s in Amnesia's "sounds" folder.

Hope this helps. Smile

Edit: Crap, somebody always has to simplify it, making mine a waste of time. Sad

Haha. You still helped, Kyle Tongue

08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Find
MrDosht Offline

Threads: 8

Hmm, how do you get the sound to play at the entity though? i used the PlaySoundAtEntity but it din't seem to make any noise? My end result was a level with absolutely no noise in it... Not very good for creepy atmospheres.
Do you have to write the soundfile extension, .snt, into the end of the name of file in PlaySoundAtEntity.

For example, this is my current section of sound stuff in my .hps file

void Poofer(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
SetEntityActive("Hall_prisoner_1", true);
PlaySoundAtEntity("", "amb_idle01", "Hall_prisoner_1", 0, false);
}

And yes, I couldn't come up with a better function name than "poofer"...

EDIT: I found out that i was using the .ogg file by putting the number at the end! the .snt file has no numbers. DERP

"Computers follow your orders not your intentions"- Anon
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM by MrDosht.)
10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Find