Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which of the following phobias do you most sympathize with (or which do you have)? This is a multiple-selection question, feel free to select all that apply.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Acrophobia (fear of heights)
21.05%
16 21.05%
Arachnophobia (fear of spiders)
14.47%
11 14.47%
Chaetophobia (fear of hair)
2.63%
2 2.63%
Claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces)
22.37%
17 22.37%
Dysmorphophobia (fear of deformity)
10.53%
8 10.53%
Iatrophobia (fear of doctors)
1.32%
1 1.32%
Necrophobia (fear of death or dead things)
6.58%
5 6.58%
Nyctophobia (fear of the dark or of night)
14.47%
11 14.47%
Virginitiphobia (fear of rape)
5.26%
4 5.26%
Zoophobia (fear of animals)
1.32%
1 1.32%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pho's Phobias
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12
Pho's Phobias

I'm just putting this out there to get an idea of which people consider to be the most terrifying. I'm asking this on a personal level, not on a "which do you think most people think is scary?" level, so speak for yourselves only.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 03:04 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Pho's Phobias

I personally have more of a fear of deep water myself.

08-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

I expect there are a lot of fears that people have more (deep water isn't one of mine directly, but the size of waterbound creatures - specifically whales and larger - is awe-inspiring in a way that touches the same nerves as fear, so I could list that too). The idea behind this poll is to determine which of two side-by-side plotlines (which I'm developing for my mod Harvest, and to both of which the title applies), or which segments of each I'll choose for the finished product. Frankly I'm tired of working on two maps with different themes at the same time, and once I know which is scarier to more people, I'll be able to just do one.

Until the poll ends, I'll be doing the prologue maps (which are roughly the same for both, and only the text of notes and dialogue really changes). The first Harvest: Prologue map, which is actually the last of the three chronologically, is due to be released in only a few days (less than a week, so I'll probably either release it on next Tuesday or hold it until Friday for the weekend players).

Follow Harvest.
08-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Personally what I fear most is being locked in small spaces. Tell me to crawl through a small tunnel? Sure why not. Tell me to lock the door in a single person public bathroom? HEEELLL NAW! Haha I know it's weird, but I think it has to do with the fact that me and my brother got locked in a flight simulator at the smithsonian... for 10 minutes... in the dark... and it was a meter high and a meter wide. And that's not even the worst part, since it was at the smithsonian it was pretty professional and it actually flippped upside down, and when the thing broke and shut down we were in mid barrel roll. And because of the harnesses we had to wait there for them to fix it while it was upside down. *traumatizing* anyways, fears like that don't usually translate into video games for me. But of course that's just my opinion Smile

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM by Kman.)
08-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Apiphobia, the fear of bees.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Website Find
Phoroneus Offline

(08-18-2011, 05:07 AM)kman Wrote: Personally what I fear most is being locked in small spaces. Tell me to crawl through a small tunnel? Sure why not. Tell me to lock the door in a single person public bathroom? HEEELLL NAW! Haha I know it's weird, but I think it has to do with the fact that me and my brother got locked in a flight simulator at the smithsonian... for 10 minutes... in the dark... and it was a meter high and a meter wide. And that's not even the worst part, since it was at the smithsonian it was pretty professional and it actually flippped upside down, and when the thing broke and shut down we were in mid barrel roll. And because of the harnesses we had to wait there for them to fix it while it was upside down. *traumatizing* anyways, fears like that don't usually translate into video games for me. But of course that's just my opinion Smile

How small is "small"? Depending on your answer, you will definitely not like Prologue part III. I can at least assure you that there are no small spaces of under 2x2 meters... at least not locked ones...

...I cannot say the same for Harvest proper, however.

In other news (actual spoiler ahead, albeit minor): [spoiler]Spiders. They're going to be featured in at least a couple of places.[/spoilers]

Follow Harvest.
08-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(08-18-2011, 03:29 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: I personally have more of a fear of deep water myself.

08-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Website Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

I don't get how can one be afraid of night or darkness- I like bothSmile
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

I'll see if I can implement an abyss-sort of feature in the lower maps. Probably one that will serve as a deterrent to Acrophobics as well, since the whole "falling to your death" thing is only very vaguely reduced by having some impossibly deep water below you. I don't have the swimming capability set up like the Atlantia mod, nor do I plan to steal it, so unless I come up with my own (probably involving strong forces acting on the player to slow his descent and a very deep descent before death, to the point at which the lighting from above becomes effectively nil - actually I like the potential here, so I'll do my best to terrify the Aquaphobes amongst us.

If I didn't list your personal scare preference (or aversion, as the case may be), feel free to put it in the thread. I just included some of the ones already present or planned for Harvest or Harvest: Prologue. Other potential scares will be included (this list is not comprehensive, new scares are always being added, usually in the form of Nothing Is Scarier, Mind Screw, and Primal Fear. (Spoiler alert? Nahhhhh.)

For the Tropers out there, expect to see (possible spoilers if you're Superintelligent and maybe Hyper-Aware):
Spoiler below!
Multiple Endings: Three planned for Harvest. There are six for Harvest: Prologue, two for each of the three independent maps.
Creepy Child: (Name removed to prevent utter spoilage.)
More than Mind Control: (Name removed to prevent utter spoilage.)
Foreshadowing: Templeton's notes.
Cuckoo Nest: One of the rooms in the real-live Foulksrath Castle is named this (see the "Real Life" line below). The trope also happens to Liam.
Mind Screw: Couples nicely with the above.
The Ending Changes Everything: Depends on which ending you get, really.
Secret Path: One so far, more to come.
Real Life: I'll just leave this here.
Primal Fear: Coupled with Nothing is Scarier, because "The rarely used third variation is where there's nothing there . . . nothing there . . . nothing there . . . and then you realize there is something there, and it's been there all along."

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Find
Need4Power Offline

Threads: 1

Hmm..I guess i'm afraid of spiders (well,actually a LOT! XD,if i see one at my room,i can't sleep all night,because i still think there might be more,and it takes a lot of hours until i calm down,and i keep a distance of at least 2 meters of it XDDD),and maybe i have some fear of deformity,such a things really terrifying me.

But,i don't afraid of darkness or the night.
actually,those both things can make me feel really calm,i love the chilly nights and the darkness,it just make me somehow feel safe and at ease Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM by Need4Power.)
08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Find