Finishing up building a lang file merger, it's all working but i want to test it a little more before I release it. Below are some features:
- Detects all .lang files in a folder, merges them into a new file as specified.
- Automatically generates a credits entry based off the credits entries in each file (See below for the standard of naming). Credits entry is named "StoryCredits" in "CREDITS" category after merge.
- Merges categories with the same name, discards any entry collisions.
- Can specify a prefix to put at the start of the credits entry - this can be used to put "TEAMNESIA" in big letters or something. Also, sorts maps by alphabetical order to show in the credits.
- Is quite verbose about what it's doing, so if any errors, entry collisions or stuff happens it will plonk it into an output text box. The program also outputs the names of the all the credit entries it's put in (as well as a count), so it is possible to perform a quick manual check to verify that all the credits entries were added without a hitch.
Anyway, here's the standard I propose that we adhere to:
- When submitting your map to the project, name the language file the same name as your map. This will help out the person who has to put all the language files in the same folder so that they can be merged.
- Don't use really generic names for your categories. Prefix them - at least try to make them unique. The program will merge categories with the same name, but if two entries have the same name and category, one of them has to be discarded.
- Include a category called "Maps", inside this category have ONE entry with the entry name the same as your map name. The entry text will have text showing the map name as it should appear on the hub door.
- Include a category called "Credits", inside this catagory have ONE entry with the entry name the same as your map name. The entry text will be what appears under your map's name in the credits. Do not put the map's name at the start of the credits - the program will do this automatically!
- Don't include the "Resources" tags - the program just ignores them so it wastes space.
Below is a sample lang file:
<CATEGORY Name="Mapname Cat1">