Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why horror?
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Why horror?

I've been wanting to make a Custom Story of just the player living a normal, boring life. Had some ideas there... But it would suck without Sooth.
08-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(08-23-2011, 05:34 AM)Your Computer Wrote: With HPL2 you could do the rolling barrels, have platforms appear out of nowhere after an event, do minor boss battles, but entity-to-player collision detection (i.e. "picking up" items as you run over them, getting hurt by rolling objects, et cetera) is not actually possible. Sure, you can have areas placed on top of each and every item and check to see if the player entered the area, and have areas placed in the path of the rolling objects and see if both the player and the object are in the area at the same time, but that is impractical.

I think the entityCollide applies to entities as well (I'm quite unsure but haven't Apjjm made it work?) - so the things you just described would be possible actually. You might even incorporate power-ups such as speed boosts, increased jumping, life regeneration (by timers), invincibility etc. I do feel that platforming is somewhat limited due to the reason that you may not change course once airborne. If you have played counterstrike and know bunny-jumping amnesia feels quite limited in comparison.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM by Acies.)
08-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(08-23-2011, 10:25 AM)Acies Wrote: I do feel that platforming is somewhat limited due to the reason that you may not change course once airborne. If you have played counterstrike and know bunny-jumping amnesia feels quite limited in comparison.

Umm... Actually in amnesia you can change course while airborne and my project for teamnesia will make use of that "feature".

So yeah... Teamnesia project will have some platforming / non-scary stuff in it too.

08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

I'd say one of the few non-scary stories that could be done easily would simply be a mystery/detective kind of story, in... You guessed it, a Mansion or Castle, or both. One would need to purely rely on puzzles and atmosphere to keep it interesting though, which is pretty much Amnesia, without scary monsters and shock events. Kind of a Amnesia Light edition. :|
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-23-2011, 10:25 AM)Acies Wrote: I think the entityCollide applies to entities as well (I'm quite unsure but haven't Apjjm made it work?) - so the things you just described would be possible actually.

Entity-to-entity collision is detectable (which Apjjm took to another level), but last i checked "Player" is not considered an entity. Therefore player-to-entity collision is not detectable.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Website Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(08-23-2011, 03:46 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: You can't.

Reasons:

-This game engine only has an AI behavior for enemies, there is no such thing as friendly NPCs.
-This game engine does not support exterior lighting/indirect lighting(I think).
-This engine is totally engineered for Amnesia, there is no horror game that will look pretty inside it.
-Such a project would be a bad choice as there are lots of better engines for that.

It may be a nice engine for some story telling NON Horror mods though.
I'm pretty sure you can change AI behaviour. Maybe with a total conversion mod.
I would also like to point out that anything is possible, but I agree, a game that incorporates neither horror nor adventure elements is easier done in another engine.

08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(08-23-2011, 01:18 PM)Khyrpa Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 10:25 AM)Acies Wrote: I do feel that platforming is somewhat limited due to the reason that you may not change course once airborne. If you have played counterstrike and know bunny-jumping amnesia feels quite limited in comparison.

Umm... Actually in amnesia you can change course while airborne and my project for teamnesia will make use of that "feature".

So yeah... Teamnesia project will have some platforming / non-scary stuff in it too.

Noticed that you actually are correct.. Smile I can't put my finger on it though, because I still feel there is some lack of control while jumping.

(08-23-2011, 05:29 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 10:25 AM)Acies Wrote: I think the entityCollide applies to entities as well (I'm quite unsure but haven't Apjjm made it work?) - so the things you just described would be possible actually.

Entity-to-entity collision is detectable (which Apjjm took to another level), but last i checked "Player" is not considered an entity. Therefore player-to-entity collision is not detectable.

I think he did it through the attachment of box-like objects around an entity and I might be remembering it wrong - but the same technique could be applied to the "Player".

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

(08-23-2011, 06:48 PM)xdeath Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 03:46 AM)nemesis567 Wrote: You can't.

Reasons:

-This game engine only has an AI behavior for enemies, there is no such thing as friendly NPCs.
-This game engine does not support exterior lighting/indirect lighting(I think).
-This engine is totally engineered for Amnesia, there is no horror game that will look pretty inside it.
-Such a project would be a bad choice as there are lots of better engines for that.

It may be a nice engine for some story telling NON Horror mods though.
I'm pretty sure you can change AI behaviour. Maybe with a total conversion mod.
I would also like to point out that anything is possible, but I agree, a game that incorporates neither horror nor adventure elements is easier done in another engine.

It's hardcoded into the game, so yea...you can't. Except for some very minor things that are specific to enemies chasing you down.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2011, 03:11 AM by MrBigzy.)
08-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Find
TheShadowSythe Offline

Threads: 3

Actually i am working on an RPG like custom story.
08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Find