Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why horror?
Hermoor Offline

Threads: 8
Why horror?

Wouldn't it be possible to make some awesome non scary games with this engine? I was just thinking it would be really cool to download a custom story that had a unique theme to it. All these custom stories uses same models same monsters and not many are as scary as the original storyline.

What if someone could make a 180 degree turn and make a beautiful game. Maybe a game that takes place in ancient greece or in viking scandinavia or maybe in some fantasy realm like lord of the rings or something. Making static models for enviroments isn't too hard.

I don't know just a random idea I had, maybe someone could try it Wink

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live"
-Lin Yutang
08-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Why horror?

I think one of the only main setback for this is that there are not really any models for characters or NPC's. I would love to make an adventure game or something, with a town and innkeep, something old school RPG style, but it's difficult without characters. Not that it isn't possible, just more difficult.

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
08-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(08-23-2011, 02:50 AM)Hermoor Wrote: Wouldn't it be possible to make some awesome non scary games with this engine? I was just thinking it would be really cool to download a custom story that had a unique theme to it. All these custom stories uses same models same monsters and not many are as scary as the original storyline.

What if someone could make a 180 degree turn and make a beautiful game. Maybe a game that takes place in ancient greece or in viking scandinavia or maybe in some fantasy realm like lord of the rings or something. Making static models for enviroments isn't too hard.

I don't know just a random idea I had, maybe someone could try it Wink

As selyp said, it's perfectly possible just need something for NPC's
08-23-2011, 03:29 AM
Website Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

I don't really want to give spoilers or anything, but I am working on a custom story that is completely non-horror filled. Filled with puzzles, side-quests, easter eggs, and unique events and scenery. Even an NPC of a sort. But, at the rate I'm going, it will take a couple months at best though.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 03:35 AM by Juby.)
08-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Non-horror doesn't have to mean NPCs are requisite. But with HPL2's available settings for light and lack of decent terrain handling, it's hard to stray out of both dark and closed-in and make it look good. ;(

08-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

You can't.

Reasons:

-This game engine only has an AI behavior for enemies, there is no such thing as friendly NPCs.
-This game engine does not support exterior lighting/indirect lighting(I think).
-This engine is totally engineered for Amnesia, there is no horror game that will look pretty inside it.
-Such a project would be a bad choice as there are lots of better engines for that.

It may be a nice engine for some story telling NON Horror mods though.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
08-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Find
Hermoor Offline

Well I wasn't thinking so much of complicated terrain. I was thinking about platformer games like for example:

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Croc 2
Spyro the dragon

All these games have mostly flat grounds with platforms you have to jump on. I think it would be interesting if someone would try make a platforming game with the amnesia engine. I mean the engine is perfect for it.

I would love to play a updated version of Croc: Legend of the gobbos. The first person view isn't that much of a prblem...it would still be better than another generic horror story.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live"
-Lin Yutang
08-23-2011, 04:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-23-2011, 04:09 AM)Hermoor Wrote: All these games have mostly flat grounds with platforms you have to jump on. I think it would be interesting if someone would try make a platforming game with the amnesia engine. I mean the engine is perfect for it.

I'm in the process of making a custom story consisting of mostly platforming, and i'm finding the engine to be a bit restrictive, forcing me to find complicated ways of doing what i want in order to keep the game interesting. Platforming is alright, but you'll run out of interesting ideas quickly and things will eventually seem rather repetitive. I don't know about the games you've listed, but i consider Assassin's Creed one of the kings of platforming, and i'm finding things a bit tedious and difficult trying to duplicate some of the mechanics. If HPL3 was out, i probably wouldn't, but until then we are limited in what we can do.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Website Find
Hermoor Offline

That is cool, I really want to see it. Is it all custom models? Anyway here is what I was talking about, look how the ground is mostly flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoNZNe1W...re=related

The game in amnesia is already made. You just need some ground and a skybox and you are good to go. A bunch of walls and custom models...I would love to see it Smile

-Lin Yutang
08-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-23-2011, 05:02 AM)Hermoor Wrote: That is cool, I really want to see it. Is it all custom models?
No, that would be far more work than intended.

(08-23-2011, 05:02 AM)Hermoor Wrote: Anyway here is what I was talking about, look how the ground is mostly flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoNZNe1W...re=related

The game in amnesia is already made. You just need some ground and a skybox and you are good to go. A bunch of walls and custom models...I would love to see it Smile

With HPL2 you could do the rolling barrels, have platforms appear out of nowhere after an event, do minor boss battles, but entity-to-player collision detection (i.e. "picking up" items as you run over them, getting hurt by rolling objects, et cetera) is not actually possible. Sure, you can have areas placed on top of each and every item and check to see if the player entered the area, and have areas placed in the path of the rolling objects and see if both the player and the object are in the area at the same time, but that is impractical.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Website Find