Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Exception access violation- mydocuments/overture problem
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Exception access violation

[INFO] Device - OpenAL version: 1.0
[ERROR] Device - Version required: 1.1

There it is, you're using an older OpenAL version, did you install the OpenAL redistributable bundled with the game?

EOF
05-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Find
drelor Offline

Threads: 1

Luis Wrote:...
[INFO] Device - OpenAL version: 1.0
[ERROR] Device - Version required: 1.1

There it is, you're using an older OpenAL version, did you install the OpenAL redistributable bundled with the game?

Yeah and i just reinstalled it from the directory again to be sure. Same deal! Ag!
I also just downloaded V1.1 off openal's page and it was the same excate program. I installed it, restarted my comp. Didn't help and it still says I have V1.0 on the wrapper test. I've been at this all day now. Sad
Is it possible my sound card dosen't support 1.1? I need a break, i'll bbl. Thanks everyone!
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

The problem seems to be in the nforce OpenAL actually. What puzzles me the most is that you said your brother had been playing fine...
One last thing to try for now, open the settings.cfg in the folder where the logs are stored, look for the UseSoundHardware="true" parameter and change it to UseSoundHardware="false", and run the game afterwards. Let me know how it went.

EOF
05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Find
drelor Offline

Luis Wrote:The problem seems to be in the nforce OpenAL actually. What puzzles me the most is that you said your brother had been playing fine...
One last thing to try for now, open the settings.cfg in the folder where the logs are stored, look for the UseSoundHardware="true" parameter and change it to UseSoundHardware="false", and run the game afterwards. Let me know how it went.

This is interesting. First note that the game has been reinstalled since the first night we got it. I reinstalled it twice today. Anyways when I opened this the usesoundhardware="false" was already there. I will turn it on and try it, but i have to work so i'll post again tomorrow. Wish me luck and thanks again. Big Grin
05-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Find
drelor Offline

Ok no luck yet. Nothing. Dose anyone know what's wrong with my game? I can download and run the demo with no problems but the game itself dosen't work! I keep getting the Exception access violation. PLease help me.
05-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

By demo you mean the overture demo or the tech demo? I've been checking this thing, and would eventually need your help to fix your problem. Could you PM me your email address?

EOF
05-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Find
drelor Offline

OK so check this out. Do you need the cd in the drive to run it? As i said earlier, my only cd rom device is a dvd burner. When i double click on the punumbra symbol in "my computer" to start the auto run the drive light blinks and the window becomes " not responding" and eventually, well, nothing happens. Sometimes it takes me back the the install screen. The device seems to work with everything else. Could the EAV be because it can't read the piracy protection information when loading or do you not even need the cd in? Just an idea because i'm still lost.
Oh and i meant an old copy of the original demo from the website about 3-4 months back when i first dicovered the game.

Oh and the entire erroe message reads.

Penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Penumbra.exe at 001B:00526E35
05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Nope, you don't need the CD to run the game. I've been working on this, and I need you to check some testing apps. I will mail them when they are ready, so stay tuned.

EOF
05-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Find
drelor Offline

NICE! TY! and GOOD MORNING!
I just reinstalled my radeon 9800 drivers. Didn't help.
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Find
verret Offline

Threads: 0

Hi DRELOR!

Did you try to DELETE the folder "...\My Documents\Penumbra Overture" ?

I had the same problem as you and I discovered, in my case, the issue that caused the access violation error.

So, just delete the folder I mentioned, rerun the game, reconfigure all settings and DO NOT enable the use of hardware sound option!

For me, keeping that setting this way, I can change any of the other parameters about graphics or anything else and the game works fine.

Good luck!
05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Find