Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Why is retexturing a object difficult
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having to do alot of wild goose chases in this. Editing the .dds in GIMP is obviously easy, but trying to make a new entity with their respective (.dds, norm.dds, nrm.dds, .dae, .msh, .ent and .mat) files, or sometimes less if I'm lucky.

For example if I wanted to re-texture a static object > debris > brick02 (Their is no .ent, .mat. dds in this folder) I would have to open up the .dae and I would find 2 possible path leads. A castlebase_stairs_worn.dds that I don't think is correct and a brick.dae which sounds more likely. So let me open that up now. I find a possibly lead that goes to a ceiling02_window.dds and that does not make much sense to me. I did some more digging around to any possible leads and I came up with garbage, so thats my problem with some of these.

So after awhile of searching my computer for any word of Brick. I find and remember the ones in the entities > equipment folder. So after copying the brick folder, changing the names and .dds and anything else I need. I finally get my retextured lava brick.

Only word I can find to describe this is asinine.

And on to my question.

(1.) Am I doing this wrong? Is their some simpler way of doing this...
I'm not sure why ceiling02_window.dds wouldn't make any sense for a basic brick model. If you open that file, you can definitely see that it would work perfectly for a basic brick model. Nevertheless, understanding someone else's work isn't always easy; i always try to build things from scratch wherever possible if there are no other alternatives.