Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: General question regarding changing a game file (no spoilers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is changing a certain variable considered cheating? I read some stuff on a review of Overture and would like to change something.
The Overture mod page is missing in action so I'm posting this in here.
Considered cheating by who?
It's single player, you can cheat if you want without repercussions. It could spoil the atmosphere of the game, depending on what it is, but it's your call in the end.
(09-09-2011, 11:49 PM)luthers caption Wrote: [ -> ]Is changing a certain variable considered cheating? I read some stuff on a review of Overture and would like to change something.
The Overture mod page is missing in action so I'm posting this in here.
If you mean doing speedruns and that stuff, then it's considered as cheating. But, It's your choice.
Ok thanks everyone (I meant considered cheating by other Overture players in general).
It's nothing like unlimited health or something, just a frustrating feature of the game that could be turned off through changing a game file variable.
You're being so vague! Just tell us what feature you're tweaking, to satisfy our curiosity.
Ok here goes :
Spoiler below!

It's the SimpleWeaponSwing variable in default_settings.cfg, if you set it to "true" you can swing your weapon by just clicking the left mouse button.

That seems like a preference and not cheating at all to me. You should definitely toggle that if you prefer it and not worry about a thing.
Ok thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I'm subscribed to this thread but somehow didn't get a "new reply" email.