Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What's the best program to use to make ambience?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lately Im in need of a prgram that I can manufacture/make creepy ambience with, without the use of a keyboard... Ive looked for ages, but nothing drastically good or useful is presenting itself. Even if I could be told what software (if any) Mikko Tarmia used for Amnesia... K thanks!
Any digital audio workstation would do, so long as you have good virtual instruments and samples. I prefer using FL Studio, though.
(09-18-2011, 11:16 AM)Your Computer Wrote: [ -> ]Any digital audio workstation would do, so long as you have good virtual instruments and samples. I prefer using FL Studio, though.
cheers Ill check it out. ive been recording sounds and editing them through Adobe Audition, but thats a EDITING program rather than a creation program.

Any other particular programs that you could mention?

I got the program "Ableton Live" this is for composers.
(09-18-2011, 12:44 PM)Googolplex Wrote: [ -> ]I got the program "Ableton Live" this is for composers.
For composers!! good, good thanks for that
Well, there's many alternatives, you've got the ones already mentioned, FL studio and Ableton live, but there are many others out there. Off the top of my head: Cubase, Logic(for mac), Reason(more of a rack emulator, but can be used for some wicked ominous backdrops), even something as simple as Audacity could be used if you have some real life instruments that you're decently good at, you know, the list goes on. With the exception of audacity, all of these cost money tho, so be prepared to dish out some cash. Hope I helped Smile
There's MAGIX Music Maker w/ soundpools.
I think FL studio is the best for such thing.
FL Studio is neat because it's perhaps easiest to pick up.

As for ambience, you could either become a sound wiz and engineer your creepy sounds or use some good software synth. What would work especially well for creepy ambience I imagine is stuff like Native Instruments' Absynth, Krakli's Cygnus (freeware too), Green Oak's Crystal. All those come in the standardized VST format which you can use in a number of host applications.

I use Ableton Live; maybe try out the trial (30 days, allows exporting) because you could honestly make a ton of ambient/drone tracks in that period of time. Even just time-stretched noises with heavy reverb and bass EQ work great for low-level ambiance.

In short, you can drag in a sound, slow it way down, add reverb, throw some compression over that, and you'd be on your way to ominous background noise.