Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: H. P. Lovecraft influence in the game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all I would like to thank producers for making this game that has kept me in an claustrophobic,horrific mood for the last two nights.I am a big fan of H. P. Lovecraft and I really enjoyed (or was scared to death would be more appropriate) playing your game.The the whole time I felt like I was some main character in a Lovecraft story (and we all know how those characters end up in his stories right? Wink)
Through out the game I have noticed alot of elements that point out that the producers were inspired by the work of H. P. Lovecraft.
The first thing I've noticed is that the main character is called Philip and his father's name was Howard.Now that's just too big coincidence to be ignored knowing that Lovecraft's full name is Howard Philip Lovecraft Wink.
The second thing is when Philip says in the intro that he is leaving humanity behind and venturing into the unknown.
The main character reminds me of Lovecraftian characters who are in the beginning sane but eccentric and as the story unfolds they venutre deeper and deeper into unkown and there they discover the old, dark secrets until those secrets completely consume their minds.They come to the point where there is no turning back and the only option there is left is to continue to push forward into the unkown.
I don't even have to mention that claustophobic atmosphere when you're in the mine all alone and not knowing what's behind the next corner.
I played Call of Chtullu: Dark Corners of The Earth and greately dissapointed in the game.I have to say that Penumbra:Overture has more Lovecraft atmosphere than CoC whose plot is directly based on the work of Lovecraft.
Ok its 5 am and I'm really getting tired so I will continue with this thread tomorrow.

"THE OLDEST and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H. P. Lovecraft
I completely have to agree with you. Whereas Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was a huge letdown for me (for several reasons), Penumbra: Overture exceeded every expectation I had. Penumbra is the perfect example of how the eldritch Lovecraftian stories should be adapted into games.
i so gotta read some of his books Big Grin
You should. They are great! I remember whenever I bought one of his books I was unable to stop reading until I finished them.
kwl
name a/some good title(s) Big Grin
"The shadow out of time" and "The shadow over Innsmouth" are must-read Smile Personal opinion though Wink
kwl ill see if i find themWink
H.P. Lovecraft was an evil, chaotic, bastard with a twisted mind. I wish he was alive still to write another book....
he sounds like a man of honor :')
its these kind of men we need more of in this world Wink
Also read:
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
At the Mountains of Madness
The Call of Cthulhu
Pages: 1 2