Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Block Hints.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to block hints? I found this command on the Wiki page: void BlockHint (string& asName);

But it doesn't show what the hints are called on the Wiki site, so do you guys know how to block hints?
They're annoying when I click an object in my map and I get that dumb text at the top of the screen.

Help would be much appriciated if I could get the names of the Hints, or maybe a script that blocks em.

Thank you!

-Angerpull
Angel
General game hints are only closed in options menu.
Here's a function i generally use, it will block out most default hints:

Code:
void BlockDefaultHints()
    {
        BlockHint("DarknessDecrease");
        BlockHint("EntityGrab");
        BlockHint("EntityLever");
        BlockHint("EntityPush");
        BlockHint("EntitySlide");
        BlockHint("EntitySwingDoor");
        BlockHint("EntityWheel");
        BlockHint("PickLantern");
        BlockHint("PickOil");
        BlockHint("PickTinderbox");
        BlockHint("QuestAdded");
        BlockHint("RecentlyReadText");
        BlockHint("SanityHit");
        BlockHint("SanityLow");
    }

If you want it to block out more hints, look in the original campaign save files for your non-developer profile; the names of the hints are in there.
(09-28-2011, 03:59 AM)Your Computer Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a function i generally use, it will block out most default hints:

Code:
void BlockDefaultHints()
    {
        BlockHint("DarknessDecrease");
        BlockHint("EntityGrab");
        BlockHint("EntityLever");
        BlockHint("EntityPush");
        BlockHint("EntitySlide");
        BlockHint("EntitySwingDoor");
        BlockHint("EntityWheel");
        BlockHint("PickLantern");
        BlockHint("PickOil");
        BlockHint("PickTinderbox");
        BlockHint("QuestAdded");
        BlockHint("RecentlyReadText");
        BlockHint("SanityHit");
        BlockHint("SanityLow");
    }

If you want it to block out more hints, look in the original campaign save files for your non-developer profile; the names of the hints are in there.
I've been wanting to know this on the side-line for a while now. Useful thread. Big Grin
Well, closing off the hints in options menu is way easier, why put so much struggle?
He probally wants to dummy-proof it for other people?
But people might like it, it's spoon-fed :/
(09-28-2011, 08:24 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]But people might like it, it's spoon-fed :/

The reason why i use that function is because of the fact that when it comes to Amnesia custom stories, it is generally the case that the user has already played through the Amnesia campaign and therefore already has all the basic knowledge of the mechanics of the game and therefore hinting at the player again is unnecessary and can be distracting to the story itself (when you put other text up at the same time). Consider it a design decision to remove the default hints. Using this function ensures that the undesired default hints will not show regardless of the user's preferences. While this may not give the user any choice in the matter for hints, i would not expect users to complain about not receiving any hints.
Yeah, it is a good way to disable for users that might forget to turn off the hints next time. However, I don't think they would forget after playing a couple of custom story.
I'm not objecting to the idea, I just find it unnecessary.