Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Just wanted to share this.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://memebase.com/2011/10/06/internet-...n-amnesia/

The title of this says "Dead Space: Scarier Than Amnesia?" I nearly raged all over the place until I looked at the comments. The fact that almost everyone was like "wtf Amnesia is the scariest game ever" and that some even knew about Penumbra made my day.

I know I found out about Frictional Games reeeeally late, but I'm very proud of how much they've achieved.

Probably not much to discuss here, sorry.
Speaking of that... I was talking to someone in school yesterday who said dead space was the scariest game ever/*facepalm* BUT WAIT, it gets worse. When I told him dead space wasn't scary because all I did was use jump scare after jump scare. He then replied "yeah of corse it does! That's what true horror really is!"/*mega facepalm* and no I'm not done yet, he then asked me what games I did find scary so I said games that actually cause psychological terror, which he then went on to say "ok well then name a few games that use this so called 'psychological terror'" so I said games like amnesia, penumbra, silent hill, fatal frame, etc. So he replys "wtf none of those games are even scary, i didn't jump once playing any of those"/*mega ultra super facepalm* see THIS is why I hate dead space. Because it's just further fueling the belief that jump scares=horror. Thank god there are still people that can tell the difference between the 2 :|
I dunno, it might purely be opinion, I must say that psychological terror can make me very tense and be like: "I'm so NOT going through that corridor!" Though the most intense scares for me were the suddenness of something scary. For example the movie Drag me to Hell, that movie gave me the largest shock I've ever had, not even a game has beaten it so far.

Spoiler in case someone is still planning to watch that movie:
Spoiler below!
I'm speaking of the scene where there is no tension build up with music at all, main character is haunted by some old women who put a curse on her and not long after the old women died. The main character hears a rumor that she may be able to repel the haunting women and gets to action, she dives in her shack to get some equipment. And then, out of nowhere with no music at all, she pulls away some cloth curtain and -BAM- the old haunting women jumps right at her! (Camera in this case.) For some reason that made me scream the wallpaper off the walls... T_T

Though yeah, in Dead Space's case, tension gets build up, and I must say, it is a bit of a party pooper... I mean, it's really like when the music starts building, I already know something scary comes and in my opinion, it risks being less scary.
Amnesia is just same scary as Penumbra.
But Penumbra has more complex physic puzzles and is even a better experience at all.

But Dead Space? If I see this game, I'm automatically not interested to play it.
(10-07-2011, 08:05 PM)kman Wrote: [ -> ]/*mega ultra super facepalm*

I'm glad you didn't kill yourself and came back to write this post. Probably I'd have killed myself before reaching last point.
Personally, I found Dead Space: Martyr scarier than both games.
(10-08-2011, 10:51 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm glad you didn't kill yourself and came back to write this post. Probably I'd have killed myself before reaching last point.
I was imagining the sound of a skull cracking when I read that, yeah. Tongue

Oh believe me, I felt a VERY strong urge to punch him in the face and run...
Personally I find Dead Space to be the scariest game I have played.

Dead Space sure did have a lot of jump scares; which are kinda annoying, yes. But sometimes they just make me laugh at myself, which I enjoy and it compensates them.
But then again, Dead Space has great sound effects (if you play it with 5.1 sounds) which created the atmosphere for me that made it the game scariest game I have played.

I'm not saying that Amnesia (or Penumbra) has bad effects and it's an awful game... Amnesia has great sound effects and atmosphere as well!

I just believe this is one of those subjects that are about personal taste.
And mostly discussing about them, will lead into a flame war of some sort.
First Dead Space sure had its psychological scares, and they were frigging awesome. And some of the disturbing scenes might be even better than Amnesia and/or Penumbra.
However if we look into overall quality, Dead Space falls into the Doom 3 pit, while Amnesia does not.

It's not matter of which game appeals which personal taste, but claiming "jump scares" to be real horror :/

great book

Quote: First Dead Space sure had its psychological scares, and they were frigging awesome. And some of the disturbing scenes might be even better than Amnesia and/or Penumbra.
However if we look into overall quality, Dead Space falls into the Doom 3 pit, while Amnesia does not.

It's not matter of which game appeals which personal taste, but claiming "jump scares" to be real horror :/
I don't agree, I think for some people there is some definite dread that dead space plays upon, the fear of when you're going to get jumped, to the point you wanna scream FUCKING COME OUT AND GET ME ALREADY

But of course they won't

There's more of it, but at the moment I can't really think of a way to say eloquently what's on my mind without sounding like tarzan

Pages: 1 2