Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Which is better? Maya or Blender?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I want to make a new monster (no spoilers will be given, but he's pretty simple) but I have NO IDEA how to use Blender or Maya... So I was wondering which would be easier to use for a beginner. and possibly where I can find tutorials that actually help.

I downloaded Blender but the controls are really awkward >>

Thanks everyone!
Currently you can't export animated/rigged models in dae format in blender, so maya might be a better choice for you. It is a commercial product though, unlike blender, which is free to use/distribute etc.
let's not forget the difficulty in creating such a project! Tongue
Blender is easier to use, but Maya is more popular (and has COLLADA armature support).

If you go with Blender, i'd recommend blendercookie.com
So I suppose I should stick to Maya huh? how do I download it though? It asked if I'm in a business or a student. "Business", I have to put in a bunch of dumb info and I can download, but as a "Student", There is no download button in sight >>
If I recall correctly, if you choose student, you don't have to pay, but you have to prove you are student.
Blender 2.6, which is scheduled to be released this month, is supposed to have COLLADA armature support. I'm going to be downloading the release candidate and see what i can do with it.
(10-10-2011, 04:39 AM)Your Computer Wrote: [ -> ]Blender 2.6, which is scheduled to be released this month, is supposed to have COLLADA armature support. I'm going to be downloading the release candidate and see what i can do with it.
Hmm. Interesting, I am pulling out latest source files too. I also want to check this out.
(10-10-2011, 04:58 AM)yasar11732 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. Interesting, I am pulling out latest source files too. I also want to check this out.

In case you're interested, i have updated the wiki for Blender: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...ender_2594
Thanks. That is very informative. I guess I will wait a little bit more before using armatures so to let things stabilize a little bit more.