Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: MYSTERY: CHAPTER 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY : http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11077.html

Hi all. After alot of people liking my recent CS called Mystery, I decided to make chapter 2. Now, although I have finished it and has alot of scares. I became tired of this CS the longer I worked on it. That being said, there are mainly only scares, not much story at all to this one. The scares aren't that great either, but I did put ALOT of time into the scares so maybe it's just me thinking the scares are bad... I have no idea.

Here is the download.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3147539242/...pter_2.rar

Will, I've been convinced...chapter 3 is on the way
Oh great you had to rush it, first of all lets get the positives out of the way. The scares were pretty nice and thankfully there are no more overlapping textures of doom anymore. There are times when the mapping looks decent enough but then...the mapping looks quite bland. There is barely any detail in the maps and well a lot of the times the maps just end up being mostly long corridors with few rooms here and there. At times I noticed that you didn't even include a ceiling in some of the rooms, whats up with that ?

You become tired of this CS after working on it for a week or two...Seriously ?
(11-05-2011, 10:18 AM)Arvuti Wrote: [ -> ]Oh great you had to rush it, first of all lets get the positives out of the way. The scares were pretty nice and thankfully there are no more overlapping textures of doom anymore. There are times when the mapping looks decent enough but then...the mapping looks quite bland. There is barely any detail in the maps and well a lot of the times the maps just end up being mostly long corridors with few rooms here and there. At times I noticed that you didn't even include a ceiling in some of the rooms, whats up with that ?

You become tired of this CS after working on it for a week or two...Seriously ?
Not really tired of it. Just, the times I work on it were bland, exactly what you said. The maps were just long corridors with rooms attached, I'm not the best mapper. And when I want people to have a long experience, I usually drag on the maps as long as I could (too the part where it would make sense). As I'm an avid scripter, that was the funnest part of making this custom. Mapping for around 5 - 10 hours a day every day for a couple weeks is exhausting to say the least. I did rush it because I didn't find any story elements that I could use later on. I'm glad you enjoyed the CS. I just really didn't while mapping it very much.

I enjoyed it. There are still many flaws and too rushed true that. Scares was nice some parts of maps, nice mapping too. But too rushed, give it more time and improves.

But suprisingly enjoyable to play. Smile
flamez3

yes. nice map

thanks for tips with levers!
and i expected that the map will be longer Smile

chapter 3 ? Big Grin
(11-05-2011, 08:25 PM)Dark Knight Wrote: [ -> ]flamez3

yes. nice map

thanks for tips with levers!
and i expected that the map will be longer Smile

chapter 3 ? Big Grin
I won't be working on this by myself anymore Big Grin, or will I...? o_0
Okay, let me level with you here: This custom story is PRETTY DAMN bad.

Like, I'm not even sure what you aimed for. There's WAY too many jumpscares, too many design flaws that don't make sense, there was basically NO story at all, and you STILL didn't fix the glitch with getting a bajillion lanterns. There is waaaaaaaay too many jumpscares and no real fear.

I stopped a short while after
Spoiler below!
picking up the key in the closet and having the statues appear behind me
because I couldn't handle more jumpscares. I might play more later or something, but I highly doubt it. Jumpscares are cheap. I usually finish just about every custom story I play, but this one is so riddled with bad things that I'm not even sure if I want to.

You need to CALM DOWN on the jumpscares. You need to make things make a bit more sense too. Like, one of the rooms was just a tiny room with a bed in it, but you couldn't even open the door properly. Who do you think would live in such a room? Sometimes, there wasn't doors behind me either after entering a new map. Besides, after chapter 1, weren't we entering the prison? It doesn't feel very prison... -ish.

Like, people can say that the map is fun. Sure, it can be kind of fun and interesting, but the jumpscares ruins that for me. If anyone say that the map is GOOD, it just means they didn't think it through. You should take some examples from the original game. It kept you on your toes, the game was scary because of the atmosphere and not too many jumpscares, and it kept what the player wanted in mind.

I'm sorry if I make you feel bad, I'm not usually a mean person, but you need to learn more about how to make a game. Maybe after a lot of experience, you'll make a custom story that will be really amazing. Until then though, I give your story a 3 out of 10.
Saw this on PEWDIEPIE'S channel.
Can't wait to play this. good job mate.
Looking forward for chapter 3
(11-06-2011, 07:38 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, let me level with you here: This custom story is PRETTY DAMN bad.

Like, I'm not even sure what you aimed for. There's WAY too many jumpscares, too many design flaws that don't make sense, there was basically NO story at all, and you STILL didn't fix the glitch with getting a bajillion lanterns. There is waaaaaaaay too many jumpscares and no real fear.

I stopped a short while after
Spoiler below!
picking up the key in the closet and having the statues appear behind me
because I couldn't handle more jumpscares. I might play more later or something, but I highly doubt it. Jumpscares are cheap. I usually finish just about every custom story I play, but this one is so riddled with bad things that I'm not even sure if I want to.

You need to CALM DOWN on the jumpscares. You need to make things make a bit more sense too. Like, one of the rooms was just a tiny room with a bed in it, but you couldn't even open the door properly. Who do you think would live in such a room? Sometimes, there wasn't doors behind me either after entering a new map. Besides, after chapter 1, weren't we entering the prison? It doesn't feel very prison... -ish.

Like, people can say that the map is fun. Sure, it can be kind of fun and interesting, but the jumpscares ruins that for me. If anyone say that the map is GOOD, it just means they didn't think it through. You should take some examples from the original game. It kept you on your toes, the game was scary because of the atmosphere and not too many jumpscares, and it kept what the player wanted in mind.

I'm sorry if I make you feel bad, I'm not usually a mean person, but you need to learn more about how to make a game. Maybe after a lot of experience, you'll make a custom story that will be really amazing. Until then though, I give your story a 3 out of 10.
...Did you read my post? I got bored of this CS and just made it scares...
This custom story was great.

One question for you, could i use your entities for my own custom story?
For example the monster statue.
I'd be happy for that. Big Grin

Thanks for the great story!
Pages: 1 2 3 4