Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Trouble With Guiding Rods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having a bit of trouble using guiding rods and the guiding rod machine (in original Amnesia, the part where you have to start the elevator by plugging in the 3 rods). Well I want to do something similar, however, whenever I go to use a rod on the machine, it just says "no object to use item on." This is odd, because the machine is definitely an entity, and it should be a valid object to use an item on, right?

Not sure if it's a scripting issue, or level editor issue.

In case it is my script, here are the functions I'm using:

AddUseItemCallback("guiding_rod01_1", "guiding_rod01_1", "guiding_rod_machine_1", "rod1", true);

Then:

void rod1(string &in asItem, string &in asEntity)
{
PlaySoundAtEntity("", "13_rod_in.snt", "Player", 0, false);
SetEntityActive("guiding_rod_2", true);
RemoveItem("guiding_rod01_1");
}

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Did you name everything exactly as it is in here?
Yup, just double checked everything. Although I'm starting to suspect it isn't a scripting problem, however, more of a game problem. The game simply doesn't recognize the Machine as a usable object. That's my theory anyway.
The machine room level used script areas to interact with the rods if i recall correctly, that way it could also detect what holes the rods were placed within.
Quote: The machine room level used script areas to interact with the rods if i recall correctly, that way it could also detect what holes the rods were placed within.
Yes it seems you are right. Thanks for the tip.