Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know, but if you're making a game like the real world (Except monsters, goo, etc.) you should have realistic lights and light rays, right?

@zandro: just look at this:
Spoiler below!
[Image: QSgJeCk.jpg]
That's without lights and particles, just billboards
(07-31-2013, 11:35 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2013, 11:30 PM)Streetboat Wrote: [ -> ]Not all games need to look like real life. Some artistic expression is allowed in all cases, otherwise we would all be playing outside instead.

.. Outside..?

You mean.. there's an outside?
It's just a myth, don't pay heed to his lies.
(07-31-2013, 11:39 PM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2013, 11:35 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2013, 11:30 PM)Streetboat Wrote: [ -> ]Not all games need to look like real life. Some artistic expression is allowed in all cases, otherwise we would all be playing outside instead.

.. Outside..?

You mean.. there's an outside?
It's just a myth, don't pay heed to his lies.

I tried the outisde once... It had great graphics but terrible gameplay.
this thread is kill rn

anyways i made a thing
[Image: CRGggYI.jpg]
That would be a scene that really needs spotlight shadows.
i dunno where i would really put any where it would make a major difference though???

there really isn't a whole lot in the way of the light other than a few small objects and i don't really want to extend the light cause the whole idea behind it was it was supposed to be a really small light source so the darkness around it would feel more oppressive
(07-31-2013, 11:32 PM)Smoke Wrote: [ -> ]I know, but if you're making a game like the real world (Except monsters, goo, etc.) you should have realistic lights and light rays, right?

@zandro: just look at this:
Spoiler below!
[Image: QSgJeCk.jpg]
That's without lights and particles, just billboards

You can have bright billboards that stick out like a sore thumb that don't look crappy like the example you just posted. For example, what Zan posted. What you posted was unfair; when the alpha is lowered, it's less apparent that the billboards you placed clip through the window. It's all about how you place and scale them. Your point is moot because all of this is up to opinion; personally, I think bright billboards work perfectly for Zan's work because of the contrast it creates between the brown and orange tones of the rest of the room. If it was realistic, it would be too uniform, and thus defeat what he was (probably) shooting for.
added some stuff in front of the light and put in a shadowcaster and smoothed out the lighting a lot. i get what you're saying about smoothing the light to make it look more natural and i usually do do that it's just a lot of the time i just don't remember to do it so thanks for pointing that out

gonna keep the color scheme the same though since my whole idea behind that was that it's supposed to look very bleak and harsh to make it feel unwelcoming and i think the contrast between pure white light and pitch black really helps to capture that
Still plodding along

http://postimg.org/image/viehragkx/full/

http://postimg.org/image/n4msqavz7/full/

http://postimg.org/image/qc9yrpfgr/full/

Anyone know if there's a way to get a vignette effect like some games have?
Because of my current internetconnection i only saw the first picture... Definetly enough... Am-am-amazing, IMO. Smile Love it. Would love to play it too! It looks like something that needs to be played.