Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Zandro the first screenshot is very beautiful! Smile
On the 3rd one, there is light between the bookshelves but i cannot see the source. Is it just unclear, or missing?

Putmalk, picture number 2 has a lot of mixed texture colors. Try to match the same colors to make the room look better Smile Picture 2 looks good. Maybe play a little more with the lighting and detailing, but otherwise it looks good! Smile
Thoughts on these ?

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2ah7g44.jpg]

Spoiler below!
[Image: v3dkjt.jpg]

In my opinion they feel a bit empty, any suggestions what should I change? Perhaps it's too bright as well?

I feel like the candles are too high.
Nice job with the ceiling though.

It seems weird that the stove is in front of the "decorated wall".
Remove the carpet where the stove is supposed to be.

Also, yes, the do seem empty. Try to make them look like somebody has been using the place
Alright I think it looks way to empty indeed, It also looks very claustrophobic (if that's the word).
Got some tips for you making the look a but more filled up. Also it's worth mentioning that shadows create a false sense of detail, so those are great.

For further notes open spoiler tab.
Spoiler below!

[Image: Y3Fm79Q.jpg]
[Image: ZBJLcyZ.jpg]

(03-05-2014, 10:43 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: [ -> ]Alright I think it looks way to empty indeed, It also looks very claustrophobic (if that's the word).
Got some tips for you making the look a but more filled up. Also it's worth mentioning that shadows create a false sense of detail, so those are great.

For further notes open spoiler tab.
Spoiler below!

[Image: Y3Fm79Q.jpg]
[Image: ZBJLcyZ.jpg]

Got 3 critiques to your critiques.

1. The first map you suggest a window. This, I feel, would seem illogical. Why would you have a window in a corridor when a door is next to it? True I do not know what is behind that door but I suspect that the room continues making a window weird.

2. In the second map you suggest putting paper under the scrolls and clutter the desk with nonsensical stuff. What if the person in the story is tidy and doesn't like to have piles of papers on his floor or on his desk.

3. You're calling the map claustrophobic and you suggest that he should fill up that "cramped" space with even more stuff.
@i3670 Made this in less than 20 minutes just to prove what the map could look like if some more time and effort would be put into it. Remember I followed his basic layout to make it as similar as possible. May be a bit dark but still. It looks like two different games...

Also who criticizes the criticizer?
Spoiler below!

[Image: j5Ghgc8.jpg]
[Image: 2ah7g44.jpg]

the problem with what you're trying to say is that you're basically telling him to change the entire atmosphere of the area

the original has a more welcoming mysterious feel to it while the one you created has a more creepy uninviting feel to it. and like those are both fine and dandy but that's like the equivalent of if someone put out a hip hop album and you were like "this is good but i feel like it would be a lot better if you made a rock album instead" like you're basically telling him to completely change what he made to fit your vision

ANYWAYS the main problem i see with the first screenshot is that the coloring is really inconsistent. the lights above the door are orangish which is a great choice cuz it contrasts with the blueish backdrop very well but the chandelier has a more washed out yellow color to it which makes it feel kind of out of place. i know it can be difficult to alter the coloring of a light since most of them already have pointlights attached to them but if you create a bigger one around it to overwhelm it you should be good. you should also really work on fading light sources in/out since most of them tend to cut off very immediately as it is

looks fine mainly otherwise. i'd personally vary some of the furniture more since having it mirrored like that isn't very interesting looking. decals and particles would also really help to bring it alive

the composition in the second shot is kind of eh but that's more of an advanced skill to really consider so i won't really go into depth on that
Lazzer, you seem to have a good starting point, but indeed, the color seems to be a bit disjointed. Perhaps, if you don't think a window would fit where Zandro suggested, try adding some sort of skylight.

As for the second one, I really love the use of blue. Honestly, looking at it made me feel like I was swimming in it.

You've got a great starting point. ;D
To Lazzer: Map looks inviting in my opinion. A good opened view. On my mobile device the screenshots are way more darkened so i cant guess if this is the right lightning . But still, you really try to set up an atmosphere in it.
Maybe some more details to make it look even more inviting, but after all i think the map is fine.
But wait for other guys to give their opinion, maybe they say something different.

------
Also: No one experimenting with A machine for pigs maps at the moment?
Too many dark descent themed maps. Why not try out some of the new assets guys?
WIP Test Map for Lighting Tests and Atmosphere Tests
Spoiler below!
[Image: jr9IEXY.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: lVT29CL.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: Gx06Z08.jpg]
In this particular test i'm attempting to create a feel of Abandonment and Foreboding