Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-16-2013, 04:55 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I see what you guys are saying about the lamp. My CS is gonna be a pretty linear story-focused one so I actually didn't plan on giving the player any tinderboxes in the first place, but I'll keep that "examine area" trick in mind for any future times I want to have a lamp for decoration but not have it be lightable. I've added the colors you suggested and moved the billboards so they don't clip through the floor (I hope)

Here's a screen with your suggestions. From this angle, the far billboards almost look like they're clipping, but I went up to them and they fade right before they hit the floor so I think I got the angle perfect.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00001.jpg]

The color doesn't seem right to me.
(03-16-2013, 05:05 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [ -> ]Billboards look nicer now, though the actual spotlight color seems a bit.. off, maybe make it 0.8, 0.45, 0.13? Just a bit lighter than the billboards and it'll give the room a golden color (i feel terrible for this haha xD)
Don't feel bad, you're trying to help me and I commend you for that. Last person who tried to help me needed psychiatric treatment for 4 years. And if we can't get a good color going I'll eventually just close the curtains and say "fuck it, it's night time." lol. Here's it with the spotlight changed. Also I changed the boxlight to be the exact same color as the billboards to give the billboards a less "in your face" feeling. I think it looks pretty good, but let me know.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00002.jpg]
(03-16-2013, 05:25 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [ -> ]I like it, boxlight should be a tad darker though, and a bit more brown so the golden color compliments it. I think a carpet might benefit the library as well, and maybe a shield on the wall in between the curtains.

Thanks. I'm taking a break for now, but I'll get some more screenshots up tonight or something. About the carpet and stuff, I always do superfluous decorations last as I find that it makes selecting objects a pain. Definitely gonna throw some carpets down and whatnot Smile
Contrast.
Spoiler below!

[Image: ncjmoj.jpg]

See what I'm getting at here?
Took the pic into photoshop, decresed the lower values, decreased the lower values of red.

If you want a calm feeling for the place, sure dont use as much contrast, but it looks a lot less engaging that way. Mine could be more like a sunset type of lighting as in a more direct one light source.
(03-16-2013, 07:11 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: [ -> ]Contrast.
Spoiler below!

[Image: ncjmoj.jpg]

See what I'm getting at here?
Took the pic into photoshop, decresed the lower values, decreased the lower values of red.

If you want a calm feeling for the place, sure dont use as much contrast, but it looks a lot less engaging that way. Mine could be more like a sunset type of lighting as in a more direct one light source.

How would I get that effect in game? Lowering the box light while putting the spotlight up a bit?
Alright, Pushed the boxlight down to 0.3,0.1,0.03. Still looks a tad red so feel free to give me a better brown number set. I'm gonna see if I can find a guide online with like pictures to let me pick a color and then see what numbers would make that color. Also, can anyone tell me what the heck the A does in the settings? I assume it stands for Alpha or something, but changing it doesn't seem to do anything.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00003.jpg]

Edit: Just tried it with the R at .2 instead of .3 and here's the result.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00004.jpg]
The latter is preferable imo; it offers a better contrast. Also, as far as I know alpha has no effect on box lights, only particles/billboards/spot/point.

Something I just noticed though:
At the bottom of the window sill, it looks like a pretty significant amount of light is bleeding through.
(03-16-2013, 08:19 PM)Adny Wrote: [ -> ]The latter is preferable imo; it offers a better contrast. Also, as far as I know alpha has no effect on box lights, only particles/billboards/spot/point.

Something I just noticed though:
At the bottom of the window sill, it looks like a pretty significant amount of light is bleeding through.

Thanks. The bleeding is probably the pointlights I'm using to illuminate the window itself. I'll make the ones near the bottom smaller.
I started an overgrown theme.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 30xecuw.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: 2zhdx54.jpg]

(03-16-2013, 08:30 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: [ -> ]I started an overgrown theme.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 30xecuw.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: 2zhdx54.jpg]

Why does Creepshow spring to mind...