Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Off Infected behaviour - intended?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello folks,

First of all I want to thank the developersof Frictionalgames to:
1) Provide such great horror games which really make me scared AND differ so much from the "splatter type" of games carrying the name of the horror genre these days.
2) Also provide these games for Mac OS and Linux (I play on the latter OS)
3) Use NO DRM (except on Steam I suppose)

Thanks - honestly.

However I now encountered one special thing and I am not really sure how to proceed.

I am playing Black Plaque right now and I encountered some Infected monsters right now. Two of them had a strange behaviour:

1) The frist Infected ever in the game. First time I encountered him - he entered the room and just stood there while I hid behind the desk. He literally stood exactly in the doorway and I had no way out. I was curious since I was thinking to use stealth like in Overture - but it was no option here. So I spoiled mysef a little and looked up a Youtube video. In this the Infected went to the room and went away later. So I launched up my game again and tried again. This time I hid under the desk FASTER than before. This time the Infected di not even enter the room! I walked towards his entry point in the level and saw him standing at the door he initially came in - observing the wall closely with his flashlight - as if the model was just placed there and never moved.

Of course in both situations I COULD make noise, he would spot me and we got into a fight.

2) This was shortly after I picked up the saw. I noticed an Infected in frotn of the door and hid behind some boxes. I waited there for almost three minutes. Behind the door (I could see beneath the door actually) he was standing - guarding the door - doing absolutely NOTHING!
So I made some noise which made him break the door. Then he stood in the hallway - doing nohting AGAIN!
Annoyed by this I went in his sight and when he tried to jump me I stepped aside and ran away.

Well so far all of this worked but it seems rather odd to me that the enmies act so strange. I read about similar effects here affecting the Mac verison of the game. Now it also seems to affect the Linux version. I bought the games over the Frictionalgames store recently and Patch 1.1 is applied as well.

I guess since the games are a bit older now I cannot really expect any new Patch fixing this anymore? Is maybe some sort of script file missing on the Mac and Linux versions of the game I can still add ? (I have downloaded the Windows version from the Shelf as well so I generally have access to the Windows content of the game) I can somehow hardly imagine that this might be a bg in the general game code as the patrolling of the dogs in Overture worked just fine.
Reinstall the game.
I just tried re-installing the game and also deleted all the configs. Actually I even replayed until the first Infected encounter - with the same results as described above.

Actually if someone from FirctionalGames would show up I'd be willing to do some debugging if they wish to so we could get to the bottom of this problem.
I hear the difficulty you are playing on can affect this for linux and mac. Have you tried a different difficulty?
Continueing with Dagrocks, try putting it on the hardest difficulty, maybe they react a little better on that.
Actually I have to admit I've beaten the game by now and moved to Amnesia.
Next time I'll play I'll try the hardest difficulty. However it was very interesting playing this way. Mostly I really had to improvise luring the Infected away or actually encountering and fleeing from them.

Funny thing: If I transfer a Linux Savegame to my Windows installation the Infected guys are broken as well - mostly they will not appear at all.

Speaking of not appearing:
I feel Black Plaque is very empty. Often in the bigger areas (where maps are on the wall) I expected a lot of them patrolling around like the digs in Overture. But I think in the whole game I only encountered 6 or 7 Infected. Is that normal?
I guess you just need to be faster than him ( there is a vent shaft you go through in one of the rooms Cough cough)