Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: My Love -- v. 1.1 Custom Story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
My Love
A Custom Story by Joe Tuttle

"I just wanted happiness. I just wanted a normal life, with no restrictions, with no one telling me what I have to do.

"It wasn't my choice at all. Yet, it was. When I look back at those times, the times that brought me joy and incredible sorrow, are now the center of life. Why can't I get over it? My love may be gone, but my love will never die."

Take part in a young man's exploration of his own perception, as he sifts through the memories of a troubled time. Experience the memories that uplifted him, and the memories that sent him crashing down to the earth.

Spoiler below!
[Image: beta1.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: beta2.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: beta3.jpg]
Sorry for the low resolution pictures...I am having issues taking screenshots in Amnesia

With all of the custom stories available, what makes this one special? Nothing at all, really. I consider this work to be a personal experiment in storytelling and level design. With the inclusion of several talented, amateur voice actors, the story will come to life, and will hopefully make the experience engaging.

This is not a horror mod. There will be no monsters to escape, no real or imagined threats of a premature demise. It is a storytelling experiment, plain and simple.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
http://www.moddb.com/mods/my-love/downloads
http://www.mediafire.com/?bsqaejqazcx9ids

To install this custom story, simply extract the contents of the .zip file to your custom_story folder, located inside your Amnesia directory.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MOST UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF AMNESIA
You need the free Justine expansion to play this modification. If you do not already have it, you can grab it here.

This custom story contains commentary tracks, which I would strongly recommend shutting off for your first play-through. There are also 2 different endings, and unlockable behind-the-scenes content.

Please be aware of any potential spoilers before posting in this thread! Thank you! Smile
Screenshots looks awesome man!
It was a chill experience! My first playthrough was with the I assume early versions of the maps, but I did a second run with commentaries on the later version. I enjoyed the commentaries, now I just have to get my hands on the bloopers...

Spoiler below!
First of all, with my second playthrough the game pretty much froze and crashed when I was nearing the crescendo. And because it doesn't help to put words in spoiler to avoid spoiling I will just say, map 8, when I collided with ScriptArea_1. Because of the way you seemed to have built the scripting I can't just load up the map and try it again and I'm not going through the hazzle of playing it from the beginning again, unless you want me to really test it.

You asked for feedback if I remember correctly:

Your mapping wasn't anything spectacular on my books. Could use some polishing for lighting and detailing (which could be hard to do if you want your mansion to look habitable and clean). I would disagree with the things you said in commentary about performance and outdoors.
20 lamp entities all lit in the hall was the only place with performance issues (the whole story was modest with particle affects and shadows).
I felt I could get a seizure from those flickering lights at the fireplaces, the idea is good and all, but it was like in a disco. Rather than try to mimic real fireplace light behaviour I would recommend a smaller more subtle affect. Like if you open up the bonfire entity in model editor and look at the lights in there you can see an example. This is stuff that I tell everyone, but just look at TDD maps and try to mimic them. They are using all the tools and props to their best.

The mansion layout was rather easy to navigate after the tour around. Having to use block boxes to prevent player from exploring at start felt little disappointing though. Since starting the story with multiple paths and only one right one is a risky thing, you could have tried using some gimmicks to guide the player.

Why did the graveyard give me the best spooks in a long time? It was just unnerving...

I may not be the best one to give feedback for the story, but I'll try.

Starting off felt a little quick to me. I was not following the dialogue like a hawk and the start was quite confusing. Got introduced to about 4 or 5 characters and their names right off the bat?
I liked wandering around the house listening to the narrative. It worked when I just chilled and tried to roleplay along.
Is it wrong to say the story felt cliché? I found myself feeling like I knew the twists beforehand.

All in all it was an enjoyable custom story, with an actual story and good voice acting. The mapping just broke the mood for me sometimes.

Now why do I feel like watching winnie the pooh with french dub?
Khyrpa
Quote:
Now why do I feel like watching winnie the pooh with french dub?
Yay! I converted one! XD

Still haven't found any time to play it, maybe tonight...
One word. Wow.
Personally, I am a person that enjoys a good story more than a challenging 'run-hide' CS. This certainly played the trick on me. It's funny that even the slightest scares, scared me here. I was probably too focused on the story, for that matter.

Spoiler below!
Mapping is extraordinarily well done. Day-time outside? You nailed it perfectly. The play with the mirror. I loved it all. I hope there's more coming where this came from. I literally felt the characters, even though (sadly) they weren't there. I watched a lot of Cry's LP's, so I recognized his voice, and I must say, he did an excellent job. I am thinking of playing it again right now, with Commentary on. I might catch a few missed things, like hidden notes and whatsoever.

All in all, well done!
Just finished playing it.

Spoiler below!
I got chills towards the end. I knew the story (as much as the dialogue told anyway since I received a script several months ago) but learning more of it through the notes strewn across the maps was amazing.

The mapping could have been a bit better, as well as retake here and there with a better mic quality for some of the VA lines (my own included, I had no idea I had so much background fuzz in some of those lines) - but in the end it wasn't enough to tarnish the custom story as a whole.

The end scene where Samuel goes mad was wonderfully done - very unique ideas thrown in and I am glad people can still bring something new to the Amnesia table.

It was a pleasure working with you sir and if you ever need anything in terms of a future project I would be pleased to assist.

Amazing work and highly recommended to anyone who can appreciate a serious story.
(02-01-2012, 03:22 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: [ -> ]Just finished playing it.

Spoiler below!
I got chills towards the end. I knew the story (as much as the dialogue told anyway since I received a script several months ago) but learning more of it through the notes strewn across the maps was amazing.

The mapping could have been a bit better, as well as retake here and there with a better mic quality for some of the VA lines (my own included, I had no idea I had so much background fuzz in some of those lines) - but in the end it wasn't enough to tarnish the custom story as a whole.

The end scene where Samuel goes mad was wonderfully done - very unique ideas thrown in and I am glad people can still bring something new to the Amnesia table.

It was a pleasure working with you sir and if you ever need anything in terms of a future project I would be pleased to assist.

Amazing work and highly recommended to anyone who can appreciate a serious story.
Ohshi- guess I better try this now Tongue
By the way graykin, is there any problem if I do a LP of it and post it on youtube?
(02-01-2012, 04:59 AM)Xss Wrote: [ -> ]By the way graykin, is there any problem if I do a LP of it and post it on youtube?
Not at all! Go for it! Big Grin
Crashed at starting cs :C
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6