Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: something troubles me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know, youre all here to play Amnesia, and get scared, but ive had a lot of experience with overplaying games. To get that unexpected feeling you had when first playing it, which eventually turned out to be you best memory of the game.

Thing is, when you play Amnesia, over and over, you.. well, kill, the sort of ''good'' about it. (correct me if im wrong.)

For example; lets take my first reaction to Minecraft. Minecraft was the very first game which had the ability of freedom; to make whatever you want. I tried this game out, and the unexpected situation i experienced IRL and in the game turned out to be the best memories i had of the game. Ever since that feeling, ive played minecraft over and over again, to try to relive that experience. Its human nature guys; once we've experienced something awesome for the first time, we try to seek out that feeling again, to, well, feel good.

This might all seem unrelated to Amnesia, but it sort of ties in with my main point in this post.

Amnesia - The Dark Descent, was the very first game i had ever played, which had the first person, tense, horror aspect to it. Once i played it, i loved it, even though i eventually had to fearquit lets say, 200 times.
The memory i had IRL and of the first time i played the game, was awesome, i was experiencing some sort of nostalgia whenever i thought about it in the future.

The thing is, with minecraft, i eventually ruined the game. I didnt destroy it or anything, but my search for that one feeling i had when i played it, had made me blindly overuse the game, making me sort of.. sick of it.

Im sensing something similar is going to happen to this forum soon, seeing it took me nearly 2 years to ruin my minecraft game, and i found out about this game like, 1 year ago.

This troubles me. I can already sense the uprising of this. People have gotten sick of the same monsters, same furniture, same walls, everything. The only thing that evens this out over time is a new exciting story to the gameplay in Custom Stories.

Im not saying you should stop playing Custom Stories, or Amnesia; im just saying, play it a bit more scarcely.

Eventually, if you dont, the new game from FG wont give you the same kick as Amnesia did; it will be just like a new Custom Story. I suggest maybe you take a 1 - 2 month break from any Amnesia related things if youre experiencing the same thing i am, because i think that might help.

Word of advice given.

Thanks for reading

Cheers ^^
Frictional games upcoming game will be an adventure game. Playing Amnesia won't ruin the feeling of playing FG's upcoming game ^^
I can understand your point of this thread and I sort of agree with it.
You can play it more or less scarcely all you want, the end result will be the same, continual playing will breed familiarity, and familiarity significantly reduces your ability to be frightened by something
(02-06-2012, 12:17 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: [ -> ]You can play it more or less scarcely all you want, the end result will be the same, continual playing will breed familiarity, and familiarity significantly reduces your ability to be frightened by something
Yes, I agree. That is why they (Frictional) avoided using the overdone, clichéd zombie when deciding that they wanted humanoid enemies. It is less familiar.

And to the OP, what you're talking about is just this: familiarity. Still, Frictionals next game probably won't be on the level of most custom stories. Remember, most custom stories are made by 1-2 people (excluding voice actors) working on their free time, while Frictional is a professional (albeit small) gaming company with everyone working full-time jobs. And that's not even mentioning the fact that unless they decide to carbon copy Amnesia, it will be a whole new experience, different monsters, textures, sounds, story, everything. Playing Amnesia a lot might decrease your enjoyment of itself, but will probably have little effect on your enjoyment of their next game,
I agree with you. I've played through amnesia 2 times.
First one was amazing, because of that I had no clue of what was to come.
Second time, I tried to empathize. I played it like I would be part of the game.
I imagined myself running in that Castle Brennenburg.

Quote:People have gotten sick of the same monsters, same furniture, same walls, everything.

That is problem indeed. Luckily there is still some good modelers who can make entities, furniture, walls, monsters, etc.. what fits perfectly in the amnesia's world. In my mod, I've tried to make a few new walls, but its quite hard (more or less) to make them look like that they are always been in amnesia.
This is why developers should do more hidden levels.
Levels what you don't find when playing the game normal.
There should be a secret mechanism for example what will open a hatch into a new dark cellar, what nobody could find out at now. So, when you mean you played the game and have all seen, you think wrong.
There is something you haven't seen. And so, Amnesia would be a game with more secrets and hidden stuff (like completely new levels) which are optional results of experimental success.
For example, the player tries something with the physics, putting a box onto a shelf, so the shelf breaks down and opened a new unknown hole.
This is what games make interesting to play ever and ever, find out new things after many years and a game where you never could see all secrets. So complex ideas what are not part of the game, but optional for advanced players only.