Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Please help me with the dogs in the workshop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried REPEATEDLY to kill the dog in the workshop. I have tried to hide from it. I have leaped on some bags. I have crouched. I have not crouched. I have done absolutely everything I can think to do. I have read previous threads but I just can't manage to use the hammer to kill the dog. I have even switched to an easy game. Can someone please HELP! At this point, I am even willing to take a saved game from someone else to get passed this dog if I won't have to face another one. Otherwise, can someone please tell me what to do?
Try to hide behind those wooden boxes, hide in the shadows (a blue tinge will go on screen when in the shadows) and croutch alot. The dog is extremely likely to hear you if you're running.

The easy part is getting to the dog. The fun part is bringing that barrel back.

Word of advice: when the explosive goes off, be cautious.
I don't know if this applies to your exact situation in the game currently, but it might prove helpful in general when it comes to killing the dogs. At first I couldn't kill the dogs either, anywhere, but eventually came up with a system that seems to always work.

I alert one dog to my attention, having established two things:
1. My weapon is in hand and cocked for swing.
2. I know where I'm running to hide in a moment!

The dog will come at you and you just take a swing. Then, rather than trying to finish him off, you run to your hiding place, crouch down, and wait. In most locations of the game, the dog will run off and howl, looking for assistance. However, upon his return with help from a fellow hell hound, you are nowhere to be found.

In short order the dog will be alone again, and you just repeat the process. Doing this three times should finish the dog off for good. In other words, the damage you do each time is retained, and after three good hits, you've won. The dog will always fall down, then run away after a good strike, so you can hide and wait for it to be alone again.

Hope this helps.

Grizwalter
Thanks for that advice! I will give it a try.

grizwalter Wrote:I don't know if this applies to your exact situation in the game currently, but it might prove helpful in general when it comes to killing the dogs. At first I couldn't kill the dogs either, anywhere, but eventually came up with a system that seems to always work.

I alert one dog to my attention, having established two things:
1. My weapon is in hand and cocked for swing.
2. I know where I'm running to hide in a moment!

The dog will come at you and you just take a swing. Then, rather than trying to finish him off, you run to your hiding place, crouch down, and wait. In most locations of the game, the dog will run off and howl, looking for assistance. However, upon his return with help from a fellow hell hound, you are nowhere to be found.

In short order the dog will be alone again, and you just repeat the process. Doing this three times should finish the dog off for good. In other words, the damage you do each time is retained, and after three good hits, you've won. The dog will always fall down, then run away after a good strike, so you can hide and wait for it to be alone again.

Hope this helps.

Grizwalter
this works all the time. The hardest part, which isn't always that hard, is the first hit. Once you got the dog down, wait until he's up, hit him again; rinse and repeat.
for whatever reason, the program or a bug, does not allow you to hurt the dog while he's getting up. You have to wait until he is basically fully up.
Doing this correctly, and quickly enough, and he won't be able to touch you nor run off to get help.
Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:this works all the time. The hardest part, which isn't always that hard, is the first hit. Once you got the dog down, wait until he's up, hit him again; rinse and repeat.
for whatever reason, the program or a bug, does not allow you to hurt the dog while he's getting up. You have to wait until he is basically fully up.
Doing this correctly, and quickly enough, and he won't be able to touch you nor run off to get help.
Taking notes, that's exactly how I took the first dog when coming from the storage room into the main corridors (I first did the Storage room, didn't want to go into the basement so I went to check on the office, and that's when it appeared). I even got as far as to chase it when it ran off, not giving it chance to "call for help". However, the second time it strikes (I assume is the same dog) when I got past the locked door in the middle of the mines, I seem unable to hit it no matter what... The most frustrating thing is that I got as far as to get the TNT barrel into position, acquired the keypad's code, unlocked the door, and when loading the next area, the game crashed, so I have to do it all over again, and I don't seem to be able to strike at the dog not even once Sad

I'll try another time and see how it goes, hopefully the game won't crash again.
First time fighting is hardest. You'll eventually get the hang of it, and enter every room guns blazin'... Err, pickaxe blazin'
Pigov Wrote:First time fighting is hardest. You'll eventually get the hang of it, and enter every room guns blazin'... Err, pickaxe blazin'

Indeed, the trick is to get the hang of it and calculate the distance at which you have to strike the first blow when the dog first jumps on you, once you do that, the other tricky part is to get the hang of the precise moment you have to strike them once again, when they are getting up so you'll knock them down again, and virtually never get hit... But as you may have guessed, it IS tricky. For me the hardest are the freaking spiders. I can fight them, but not without getting stung at least a couple of times per spider, which utterly sucks.
jump on top of a larger box not a barrel. The dog will jump at you but will not hit you if you crouch on top of the box you can kill the dog easy you may have to stay up there for a few minutes or lay some jerky out near you to get him to come back
After losing my sanity 3 and a half times, I made the conclusion. The easiest way to deal with the dogs is to kill them.

1. You will need a heavy item to throw at them, propane cans and steel barrens do just fine.
2. Pick them up and just run towards the dog or let him charge at you.
3. When the beast is close enough, throw the thing at it and the dog will be out for few secs.
4. Go bash it with your axe, hit it when its down, yeah! You should get 2-3 hits before it gets up. You should just continue spamming attacks on it as long as it tries to get up.
5. If there are other dogs alive nearby, DO NOT let it run away, it will call for help and you will die against 3 of those things.

The spiders are what irritate the hell out of a hardcore gamer like myself. Whats the logic that spiders that (according to the game itself) have no venom whatsoever and are about the size of your foot pose ANY kind of problem to any human being? With their tiny jaws and the unrealistic ability to jump are about as dangerous as squirrels. Sure, one of these ferocius beasts can take down a full grown adult in 10 seconds and 2 or 3 of them are just unbeatable. And yet they have a some kind of supernatural exoskeleton that makes them endure 1-2 blows from a pick axe swung by the player. Moreover its funny that you are supposed to "block" these guys with a boulder that leaves huge gaps on the sides the spiders could easily crawl through.

This game was very scary until the part where the dogs kicked in. There was little mystery left when you end up seeing the same bastard shred you to pieces 20 times in a row because, just like in real life, hitting anything with a pick axe is next to impossible. You know theres something seriously wrong with the gameplay when the most effective way to use a propane can against a rabid dog is to pick it up and beat him up with it.

While theres nothing to "spoil" for the "ending", I'll just say don't expect too much, or rather don't expect anything.

IMO this game isn't even close to being ready for release and sales, and if they ever did beta test this, I can't imagine how things were BEFORE they got fixed. I'd rate this game 5/10, but it doesn't really matter because no matter how much I point out the faults, the developers can't be half as offended as I am after playing through their game.